Typing in low light on macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by alohaa, May 18, 2011.

1. alohaa macrumors newbie

I'm planning to pick up a macbook at the back to school sale that's starting soon, but I've been thinking that the absence of a backlit keyboard might be a problem. I'm a university student that does most of my assignments at night in low light (im a night owl and I share a dorm room), so I was wondering if anyone could tell me whether this would be a big enough reason for me to want to get a pro? I'm not too fond of the macbook pro design and I've heard people say that the screen provides some light to the white macbook keyboard so that its visible in the low light. Can anyone confirm/deny this for me?

2. Scarrus macrumors regular

Considering the difference between sandy-bridge and c2d for the price difference, you'd have to be bonkers not to get the pro

3. alohaa thread starter macrumors newbie

Sandy-bridge would be great, true, but I'm planning on upgrading the ram myself and then I think the macbook should work just fine for what I'm using it for. I just don't find the macbook pro appealing at all aesthetically, and that might sound shallow but I plan on having this computer for a long time so I might as well love it.

4. Scarrus macrumors regular

Then I would wait for the update. Trust me, it'l be a far more faster machine and thus should have no problem with all the new apps in 2 or 3 years, as for the current model, I don't see it fairyng so well with new apps in 2013/2014...

5. thurstmw macrumors newbie

I find to get good light on the keyboard from the screen I have to crank the brightness and tip it at an awkward angle. If I was you I would maybe pick up a usb LED light from amazon or something.

They only run about 5 bucks.

But I also agree that you might as well wait for the update. Should be here this summer and its best not to buy a computer when it is on its way out.

6. alohaa thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, I'll keep an eye out for the updated macbook then, thanks. Hopefully it'll be worth the wait.

7. tug macrumors 6502

all macbooks have illuminated keyboards, so you wont have any problems working on it at night. if you get one now it will update automatically when the u/ds become available. oh the pros are, in my opinion probably the best looking laptops in the world.(well they would be after all they are MAC) :cool:

8. Laco macrumors 6502

I don't mean this to be rude in anyway but you should learn to type without looking at your hands. It is an invaluable skill that will help you immensely. I have had a macbook for 4 years now and after a few months typing on it becomes second nature, like breathing - its scary, no thinking or looking required. But the screen does give off enough light if you need it.

PS I also like the white macbook design. I hope I don't have to replace this one for many years but when the day comes I will buy another one! (if they are still around)

9. johannnn macrumors 65816

johannnn

Why not just a very weak and directional lamp?

Why not just recommend him Das Keyboard [http://www.daskeyboard.com/model-s-ultimate/] when you're at it?

10. _bgb macrumors member

Really?? How do i turn mine on?! :confused:

Oh it doesn't have one.. not a true quote my friend

11. Laco macrumors 6502

For the price of the keyboard ($130) you might as well just buy the pro model which is only an extra 70 dollars.