Typing on an iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DaREdBaRoN, Jan 24, 2011.

1. DaREdBaRoN macrumors member

I know that the iPad uses a touch screen keyboard and I don't have a problem with that. How easy is it to type on a flat surface though? Does is rock back and forth due to the curved back? The rumored flat back on the iPad 2 seems like it would make taking notes and writing much easier with the iPad on a desk. Right now this is the only thing keeping me form buying an iPad now. What do you guys that have iPads think?

2. Q-Dog macrumors 6502

Q-Dog

3. RedWings macrumors regular

Typing on the iPad on a flat surface would be really hard to get used to IMO. I only type using my stylus or holding it like an iPhone (non-landscape) and using my thumbs.

If you are going to be doing a lot of typing, I suggest an external keyboard/case.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I do the same.
    I wouldn't want to type on a flat surface regardless.
    The Apple case gives just enough angle for me.

5. emw macrumors G4

emw

Really? I can't imagine using a stylus as a primary typing instrument.

I use the Apple case, which provides a nice angle to the keyboard and it works perfectly for me. Overall, especially in landscape mode, the feel is very similar to that of my Apple wireless keyboard, so it wasn't a huge adjustment.

It's certainly not a perfect experience, but certainly not to a degree where I'd recommend an external keyboard.

6. RedWings macrumors regular

I will have to give it a try.

I primarily use my iPad for browsing, playing games, and stuff that requires minimal typing. If I want to type a lot, I will just grab my Macbook.

*EDIT*..Just tried typing using my Acase and I was surprised at how well I did.

7. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

This provides excellent stability and a nice, comfortable angle for typing.

Failing that, one of the cases with a built-in hardware keyboard (haven't used one though) might be a good idea if you'll be doing a lot of typing.

8. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

I use the macally bookstand which gives you the same angle as the apple case and typing is just fine.

You don't really type with the traditional 4-5 fingers on each hand I use like three and two.

9. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Agreed. It is a modified short-hand typing stroke
    Once you get used to it, it works very well

10. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I am interested in the WPM difference. Has anyone taken a typing test on it and compared it to their usual WPM on a standard keyboard? I know it's not as fast, but I'm really curious.

11. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

This blog is quite interesting. http://ipadalone.com/ The author posts on MacRumors sometimes. If anyone has done a comparison, it would be him!

12. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

I just took an online test and got 36wpm with 1 mistake.

13. j3yq macrumors 6502

j3yq

With the Ipad slanted or flat on surface?

14. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

15. joec1101 macrumors 6502

I think I can actually type faster on my iPad than on my MBP! I also use the two and three finger method.

You definitely need a decent case, though, to keep it secure and at a good typing angle. The Apple case is very nice as is the Incase Magazine Jacket case. I have both and switch back and forth now and then.

16. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

A few observations I've made from using it since the 3G was released

1. Hard to do if used to shortcuts
    2. Spell Check in pages in poor and a PITA to do. It misses many errors, and its hard to get it to pick up the word.
    3. Much better when lower down. I don't know the reason for this, but the lower the desk is relative to me sitting position, the better I seem to do
    4. Hard to do more than 1 page
    5. Canted case is a must. I use a Quirky case.

My reference point is a uMBP 17 inch laptop, so I may be expecting too much.

17. mariot macrumors member

Im loving the ipad keyboard very easy to type and get used to . I use it for all my lectures at school.

18. seamus26 macrumors newbie

seamus26

As far as the typing action goes I think Apple hit a home run with both the iPhone and the iPad. I like typing on the iPad, but I'm generally sitting at home with it on my lap. I have a cheapie eBay case so it doesn't slip, but I can see the concern about the angle on a table. I guess I need to hang out in coffee shops with it more. ;)

19. DaREdBaRoN thread starter macrumors member

I ended up picking up an iPad at best buy and I love it. The typing is real easy and I'm almost as fast on it as I am on my MacBook. I used it to take notes in class the other day and it worked great.

20. Chewbaca macrumors newbie

I fell out with the default keyboard about a week into owning it. I have the bluetooth keyboard for working at the desk or flat surface and an ipad stylus otherwise.

21. rmitchell248 macrumors 6502

i hated typing on it. If I was not near my computer I would type an email on my phone long before on the ipad. If I was going to the trouble of hooking up my bluetooth keyboard... id just use the computer. good for surfing the web, watching a movie somewhere or running apps if sitting on the couch or laying around other than that I did not care for many aspects of the ipad