Typing On iPad--is this possible?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bkitchen0406, Feb 19, 2012.

1. bkitchen0406 macrumors member

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. bkitchen0406 thread starter macrumors member

Does typing on the iPad hurt your hands more?

4. blackNBUK macrumors 6502a

That typing speed doesn't seem particularly unusual, maybe faster than normal but I'd guess that I get close when I'm on a roll. The iPad keyboard has full size keys which helps a lot when you're trying to type fast. I haven't noticed my hands hurting from typing on my iPad but I've never used it to write pages and pages of text.

5. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

It's very easy to type fast on the iPad. Anything can hurt your hands if you use it long enough. But it's an iPad.

6. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Depends on the person. There's no hard and fast rule. Some people pick up typing on the iPad easily. Some do not.

7. whoathere macrumors 6502

whoathere

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I caught on quick on my iPad 1. Pretty easy to type fast on, just not something I could write a book on.

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

it all depends on the angle. if you have a case/stand that sets it up right its pretty easy to type for a while with no problems.

personally i still think if you're going to be doing a lot of typing on your iPad its probably worthwhile to invest in a BT wireless keyboard.

9. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I can type that fast on my iPad. Perhaps not for 10 minutes solid, but bursts like that I have no problem achieving.

10. Arelunde macrumors 6502a

Arelunde

Ya. Typing on the iPad2 screen IS possible, but not comfortable for someone used to using a keyboard all day long. I got the Logitech Zagg keyboard and LOVE it! Bluetooth connection, works as an aluminum screen cover for transport. Excellent. Also makes for extremely fast typing speeds.

11. wilfried macrumors member

I was quite surprised at how easy it is to touch type on an iPad keyboard. I'm not quite as fast or as accurate as on on a physical keyboard, but pretty close. I can even do it without looking at my fingers (and auto-correct catches a lot of the errors). It's certainly faster than any thumb typing I can do. I wouldn't want to do it all day long, but it works well enough for any typing I might want to while on the run. I've used it with a Bluetooth keyboard, which is nice, but I've never felt the need to carry it with me. I might consider bringing the physical keyboard if I was traveling and the iPad was my only computer (and for my purposes, an iPad would be quite enough).

12. LeeM macrumors 6502a

The screen is so responsive on the iPad I find typing extremely easy, I can type as quick as that guy and make less mistakes lol

13. Bluemeanie1976 macrumors 6502a

Bluemeanie1976

I have no issue at all typing. It takes a bit of getting used to, even finger typing like I do, but the board is responsive enough, and you occasionally get the odd typo is you hit another key, but no more than a normal keyboard, to be honest.

[​IMG]

14. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

That's nothing. My guess is you've never learned how to touchtype fast in school.

15. HERO XXL macrumors regular

---especially in landscape. In portrait, the keys are ENTIRELY too small.
    ...imagine SWYPE though!!!! I've contemplated JB'ing just to have the opportunity!!

16. tiptopp macrumors regular

tiptopp

And me. Not very impressed, to be honest, especially with the number of mistakes he made...

Tiptopp

17. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

Looks pretty average to me. I do almost all my iPad typing one-handed and I'm about at fast (if I know what I want to say). Maybe I should make a video. :)

18. saberahul macrumors 68040

Is it possible? Sure. I can type quite fast on my iPad. Once you type a lot and get used to it, it isn't all that hard.
    No, it does not hurt your hand.

19. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

I was expecting to see typing at blistering speeds, that's not very fast and he's making lot's of mistakes.

I type much faster than that with fewer corrections, not bragging instead I mention it so people can know it's quite possible and not that hard to type much faster with fewer mistakes that shown there.

As mentioned just practice, when I first started typing on the iPad I was sure I'd never get used to it ... now it's a breeze.

20. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

I didn't plan the video ahead of time. My friend was considering getting an iPad but was worried it'd be too hard to type on so I made a quick video to show him about how fast I could type. I wasn't planning on it being a public video or I would have prepared something to type instead of just rambling. I made a lot of mistakes and kept pausing because I didn't know what to type.

But you're right. It's not hard to type that fast. If you're already fast on a physical keyboard and you trust autocorrect, you can type this fast by your first couple of months, depending on how much you use it. And obviously I'm a bit faster now considering I made this video a year ago.