Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tttexxan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Well using the iPad for week now and just was amazed by something. I hate typing on the keyboard but try the key pad on the Native iPhone app such as Facebook. Same keyboard as the home and hit 2x typing a friend on facebook. In a nut shut typed about twice as fast. The key board come up more in the middle and able to balance pad better while moving around the keys. The keyboard also narrow for someone with smaller hands. Wish I could use that one all the time

Don Kosak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Hilo, Hawaii
LOL

The autocorrect on iPad produces some beauties - just like Newton's handwriting recognizer.

I agree with the opening poster, that the keyboard on old iPhone apps at 2x mode is pretty usable.

I've gotten used to typing on the main landscape keyboard on the iPad though. All of my posts since 4/3 have been from my iPad.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
I can't stand tipi ng on this thing. Typing became tipi ng and autocorrect thinks nit is a word when I is right next to o, so that not often turns into nit. And i gets autocao when I don't want it and gets left lowercase when I want it cap. I have niticed the same thing, the two x keyboard is actually easier. Steve jobs is trying to sell some pretty blatant bs when it comes to touch typing on the iPad. Maybe I'll stick to the portrait keyboard where inactive fingers are less likely to turn everything I type into apppaapapapapapap.

tttexxan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Was hoping youwouldcatch that as youcanseethisiswhat I get when typing on this thing haha

PowerGamerX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2009
You all really suck at typing on the iPad. I rarely make a mistake. Like this post is typed on the iPad and I haven't corrected anything. I'm typing at full speeed too. Whoops, there's one thing misspelled.

Maaz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2010
Honestly I almost never make any mistakes while typing on the iPad keyboard. I guess i am just lucky that iam very good at typing on it. I also did the typing test and my average on the ipad keyboard is 73 words per min.

paulisme

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2008
Charleston, SC
I make mistakes when typing on the iPad, but unlike some folks I actually proofread what I type before I post so as to not look like a complete idiot.

barefeats

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2000
As a long time touch typist, the iPad virtual keyboard is frustrating for anything but brief text entry. I use the BT wireless keyboard when I need to do a bunch of text. It ony weighs 11 oz including batteries. I toss it in my messenger bag when I head out the door with my iPad.

PhoneI

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
I love the keyboard on the iPad. I hate typing in long emails on the iPhone, but have no such problems on the iPad. I have gotten so used to it, there are times I can type without looking at the keyboard.

SonGoku v2.5

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2010
I am enjoying typing on this device, but has anyone noticed that when you make lengthy posts on forums, you are not able to scroll up and down the text field? Is it just me? It's ironic that for me, typing itself is not the inconvenience, but typing a slightly long message on a forum is. Has anyone else noticed it or is there a way around it that would be able to help me? Thanks to anybody who might have some ideas!

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I am enjoying typing on this device, but has anyone noticed that when you make lengthy posts on forums, you are not able to scroll up and down the text field? Is it just me? It's ironic that for me, typing itself is not the inconvenience, but typing a slightly long message on a forum is. Has anyone else noticed it or is there a way around it that would be able to help me? Thanks to anybody who might have some ideas!

Use two fingers to scroll in the text field if it gets too big. And yes, that works on the iPhone too, and yes, I had no idea about this till last week either. :eek:

SonGoku v2.5

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2010
Use two fingers to scroll in the text field if it gets too big. And yes, that works on the iPhone too, and yes, I had no idea about this till last week either. :eek:

You're a life saver man, I'll definitely try this out. What's funny is that on the iPhone, it just automatically scrolled for me, so I was surprised that I wasn't immediately seeing anything on this. There is some getting used to, but I'm having too much fun on this so far.

Thanks again!:D

Squid7085

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2002
Charlotte, NC
The only consistent issue that I have has been not hitting the Space Bar, aside from that, all the issues i have had with the keyboard have disappeared with use. Wow, I just re-read that, i really ought to get some sleep. haha

HelloMikee

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
San Diego
I actually wish you could split the keyboard into two halves so that each side is closer to the edge you can still type with thumbs.

Squid7085

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2002
Charlotte, NC

+1 I just learned about that this week too, it also work for any kind of similar situation where you have a separate scrolling area within a page. For example, the friends list pop up on Facebook can be scrolled with two fingers.

nasa25

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2010
canada
Damn so e of you guys are pretty good at typing on the iPad. I'm typing on it now and so far I've made one mistake!

Alchematron

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2007
Maui Hawaii
As a long time touch typist, the iPad virtual keyboard is frustrating for anything but brief text entry. I use the BT wireless keyboard when I need to do a bunch of text. It ony weighs 11 oz including batteries. I toss it in my messenger bag when I head out the door with my iPad.

Do you use a stand?

If so what stand?

Thanx

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.