Typing on keyboard make cursor jump around

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by madmimi, Jul 19, 2007.

1. madmimi macrumors newbie

I just got this new 17" powerbook two months ago. Everything seemed fine until this past weekend when I tried to do some work on it. No matter the program, Word, Quark etc., whenever i go to type in sentences or paragraphs, suddenly the cursor will jump to another area of the paragraph. There seems to be no consistency and I can't figure the cause.

I checked all the preferences and that doesn't seem to change it.

Could I have a faulty keyboard? Has anyone else heard of this and know what to do. Thanks

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

For me, this only happens if I try to reach across the keyboard to type something, causing my arm to brush against the trackpad (thus moving the cursor around randomly). Are you sure something like this isn't causing your issue?

3. mooncaine macrumors regular

Happens to me now & then, because my arm or hand brushes the trackpad. The move of the cursor happens so quickly that I accidentally delete whole paragraphs.

Luckily, most apps I use have good Undo features. Mail.app, sadly, is not one of them.

4. madmimi thread starter macrumors newbie

I wish it was just me. I had thought that at first but I used my wireless mouse and turned off the track pad and it still happens.

And it happens all the time, almost every couple of minutes making it literally impossible to type. I have even tried holding up my hand so i wouldn't be touching any other part of the keyboard.

go figure...

5. kolax macrumors G3

Odd - you must be touching the trackpad somehow...you definitely turned it off?

I've heard of this before and the reason was because the person was touching the trackpad accidentally. I know you've said you haven't but that is the only logical explanation I can think of.

Not heard of the keyboard being used as a pointing device either..

6. madmimi thread starter macrumors newbie

Guess I will have to try to be more careful typing and see what happens. If that doesn't do it I will contact Apple...eek!...and see if they have a clue.

Appreciate the help - thanks!

7. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

This is why under windows i disable the trackpad when i play games. :) My wrist occasionally brushes against it when i type/play.

8. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

this is why i got my 15" pb instead of the 12" :D
    I think your brushing against the track pad

9. Razorburnd macrumors newbie

I f.. [ain] eel your p...

OH MY GOD THIS DRIVES ME INSANE.

Especially when you're typing along and you look up and the cursor is no longer at the end of the paragraph—it's somewhere in the middle and YOU HAVE TO FIND IT.

This is a lot of fun when you're typing out HTML, or something else that can't have any misspellings.

10. GoldenGateGuy macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Oct 8, 2017 ---
    This happens to me all the time and drives me crazy. It makes me want to go back to a PC. It just did it while typing this response!
    I found this, and so far it seems to have done the trick.

6. Close all windows and quit all applications.

Click the Spotlight -the magnifying glass icon- in the menu bar. Enter 'Disk utility' in the box.

Select Disk Utility from the drop down. When the Disk utility window opens up,

select Macintosh HD, then First Aid.

Click Repair Disk Permissions button.

Last 1 minute may take longer.

I found it here. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6755960?start=0&tstart=0

Good luck!

11. leman macrumors 604

That’s some necromancy here if I ever saw any

12. lambertjohn macrumors 6502

17" powerbook? Is there even such a thing?

13. GoldenGateGuy macrumors newbie

:D

14. maerz001 macrumors 6502

Yes:) 10 years ago

15. GoldenGateGuy macrumors newbie

Well, my fix didn't last long. The issue is back with a vengeance!

16. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

There used to be, yes.