Typing on the MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Frankied22, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

Hey guys, I just wanted some input on what you think about typing on the MBP. I am planning on getting either a MBP or a MBA in the near future and I was wondering how comfortable typing is on these two machines. When I play around with them at the store it seems to me if I was typing a lot on the MBP the area on the front of the laptop where you rest your arms would become uncomfortable, whereas on the MBA it is so thin you don't have any of that front "edge" cutting into your lower arms. What do you guys think? Is it uncomfortable for you?

2. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

My MBP developed a very obvious patch on the front edge where I rest my wrist while using the trackpad. So yes, it is slightly uncomfortable to use in that respect. I wouldn't call it a big deal - the damage to my notebook is more annoying than any physical discomfort felt.

I haven't owned an Air, but I imagine the problem would be much less severe for the reason you stated.

What I can say is that the MBP keyboard is the best keyboard I've ever used. Love it, even better than the Apple Wireless Keyboard.

3. lamboman macrumors 6502

The MBA keyboard has slightly less travel and is a bit more clicky than the MBP's keyboard in terms of feel. Personally I prefer the MBP keyboard, the MBA felt like a worse version of the Apple Wireless Keyboard to me (which has extraordinarily wobbly keys and is just not that nice to type on IMO). The MBP keyboard might be a bit soft for some to be honest, I personally wish that it had a bit more travel and a bit more clickiness, but I do definitely prefer it to the MBA.

However, of course there are those that have said that they prefer the MBA keyboard to the MBP, so it's a case of trying both out and seeing which one you prefer.

As for comfort, I don't have any problems, though of course the lack of tilt means that you are reaching a tad further for the top keys, so I do wish that there was a slight amount of tilt there.

4. thundersteele macrumors 68030

I type a lot both with the MBP on a desk or on my lap. My palms rest left and right of the trackpad, and I don't have any problems with the sharp edges. It might depend a bit on the working position though.

The keyboard itself is decent, although I liked the one in the pre-unibody MBPs slightly better.

5. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

I suppose it could get rather uncomfortable. I wouldn't really know though, I'm usually wearing a jumper or typing with my arms raised just above the keyboard anyway.

6. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Wirelessly posted

This is exactly the reason I got the air over the pro. The air is more comftorable IMO

7. Nychot macrumors 6502a

I have an early 2011 13" mbp i5 and the keyboard is pretty great. Very tactile. It's on a par with my apple bt keyboard I use with my desktop Mac mini.

8. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Your hands/wrists somehow learn to adapt and you don't even know it.

9. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

AS above i prefer the mbp keyboard due to the slightly more travel.

However, its just a case of getting used to either keyboard.

My GF can type pretty fast, and the MBA doesn't hinder her at all. She did a typing test the other day and got 140wpm out of her 2010 11"...

I can generally get about 120wpm and the MBP keyboard doesn't hinder me at all either.

edit:
    both our jobs involve a lot of typing, lol...

10. Acejam2k macrumors regular

I personally prefer the MBP. The MBA keyboard is very nice, but there isn't enough key travel. The deeper travel of the keys on the MBP provide better feedback in my opinion.

11. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I am right with you. The MBP's feedback is nice. I think you get the best typing when you install a palm rest like the Moshi for example, or a 3M di-noc overlay. You also avoid oil stains on the palmrest and the material is softer. They have leather ones as well which are nice.

12. nostylluan macrumors member

if you type a lot, the macbook pro is better.

the macbook air will require changing your rhythm in typing... you'll have to look at keys or miss keys once in a while, the keyboard is not the same.

if you don't mind getting used to a new keyboard then go with air but if you like standard keyboards the macbook pro is better (im speaking about 15 inch).

smaller keyboards irritate me. as for being comfortable, you lay your palms beside the trackpad so it really makes no difference that the air is less thin.