Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
hi,

I'm enjoying the Apple Pencil for drawing but have found it very frustrating when using the Apple Pencil like a stylus for typing on the onscreen keyboard. Typing with the pencil causes many letters to double or even triple repeat unless the pencil is held completely upright. I.e. Holding the pencil on an angle causes this to occur.

Anyone else notice this? It's not a deal breaker as I bought the pencil for drawing.

Thanks

Cascades42

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2016
UK
Using the pencil to tap the keyboard is like using a screwdriver to hammer in a nail, it's possible, but not the right tool for the job at all. I would use your fingers to type - or get a Smart Keyboard or a Bluetooth keyboard.

jrs22

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2012
I use the pencil when doing crossword puzzles and I find that I do have to watch out for letters repeating unintentionally. I never paid attention to the angle with which I was approaching the screen.

Bbqthis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2015
Bay Area, CA
This is a good idea if you're set on using the pencil, but really the best thing to use is your finger.
True, but I can appreciate reasons for wanting to use the Pencil as exclusively as possible with iPad (avoiding fingerprints for example)

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
Just to clarify, I almost always use my finger to type. It is only on odd occassion when I'm already using the pencil for drawing and then go to type something with it.

Swipe keyboard is a good idea.

Reactions: Bbqthis

Andy847

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2016
Chicago Suburb
I agree with someone above. I use the swiftkey swype keyboard, since the apple keyboard gets annoying with all the clicks. I know you can turn the sound off, but I always liked swype better. So glad to see it's available on Ipads now. It wasn't when I had an Ipad 3.

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
I agree with someone above. I use the swiftkey swype keyboard, since the apple keyboard gets annoying with all the clicks. I know you can turn the sound off, but I always liked swype better. So glad to see it's available on Ipads now. It wasn't when I had an Ipad 3.

With the Apple Pencil it would be nice to see a scribe to text keyboard from Apple. I know you can get a third party keyboard to do this but it would be nice to have an inbuilt option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.