U.K. Refreshed 13 inch MacBook Pro - Anyone Else Truly Underwhelmed?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CD3660, Apr 13, 2010.

1. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

The title says it all.

The biggest refresh seems to be the considerable hike in price, or am I missing something?

2. eat me macrumors member

No. Serves the fanboys right, with their "to another level". To another level of FAIL, that is.

I almost want to bash some apple fanboys' head in right about now. I mean, if anyone dares to defeat this... they are beyond help.

3. Caris macrumors 6502a

Caris

£50 more for a 10 hour battery, 4GB RAM, 250GB HDD, 2.4ghz CPU and faster graphics seems like a great deal to me.

4. moseleyite macrumors member

I must confess to not remembering what the stats were before he update so good job remembering that!

Do you think it would be fair to say that the above updates (apart from the battery) are components which have come down in price since the last update so, now they are included as standard, the price should have remainded the same?

Is the increase due to a change in £/$ since the last update?

5. will0407 macrumors 6502a

hmmm... slightly faster processor, slightly better graphics cards, bigger HD and more RAM (which you could have upgraded yourself a lot cheaper anyway).

I was planning on selling my 27" 3.06ghz imac, buying a 13" pro when the ipod rebate begins and having a bit of cash left over as I really don't need this screen size (I managed to get a VERY good swap deal which is how I ended up with it)

Essentially paying more for 3 hours extra battery, 0.14ghz processor increase and a slightly better graphics card. Does this mean every time specs are bumped, apple will increase the price a little? What happened to the days when you'd get a spec increase at no extra cost because the cost of components had decreased?

6. CD3660 thread starter macrumors 68040

CD3660

Exactly!

Not to mention that these are hardly earth-shattering improvements in spec., particularly after all that waiting.

Pathetic really.

7. moseleyite macrumors member

Quite - that's the point I was trying to make (quite badly) above.

I wouldn't describe myself as angry about this update because, after all, its just a computer and its not like my life depends upon it. However, I'm quite disappointed.

A couple of people at work were going to switch but have now given up... and I'm not enough of a fanboy to try to convince them otherwise! :D

8. ManofMac-au macrumors newbie

Awww, come on now. We've just come out of a GFC, Apple like the rest of us need to make some extra coin. With these MBP's you get an update of all internals across the board for only a few measly $$ more.
    Fanboi or not, they're just a couple of fellas down on their luck trying to gouge whatever they can out of the market. Hell, Micro$oft does it by releasing sub-par OS's at inflated prices, it's a game... wont you play ?

9. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Yes, the US price for the 13" is still the same.

10. molala macrumors 6502a

I think it's the USD/GBP ratio. The £ has sunk in value since the last update (10 months ago).

I'm disappointed. Will they ever offer anti-glare for the 13"?

11. zerolight macrumors 6502

zerolight

I guess it must be a bit disappointing to find that the 13" model didn't really get much of an upgrade - however I assume the thinking is that if anyone needs the serious quad core horsepower then they also need the high resolution to go with it. I'm not sure a faster CPU in the 13 would have made a lot of sense. It would have been nice to see a price drop of course, but in the current economic climate I am sure Apple were looking for an excuse to put the price up.

Me? I ordered the vanilla 17" model. My wife wants a laptop to sneak off to the bedroom with for Movie editing - apparently I won't get off the 27" iMac long enough! I was just waiting for the quad cores to hit, now I've pulled the trigger. I'm more than happy with the refresh.

12. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

All I wanted was an i5 with 4GB and HDD size increase. I am disgusted with them using C2D in April 2010! I would have ordered today if they had used current CPU's:mad:

13. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Considering how the prices keep going up and the interesting add-ons are extras on top, I'm still happy with my 2007 MB. I want the 17" or a really compelling 13" but they are just not those machines yet. This will be the longest I've kept a mac as well, I'll just get an SSD to tie me over. If any of these machines had USB3 I would be interested.

14. ilkevinli macrumors 6502

ilkevinli

Same here. How in GODS name are they still using a Core2Duo CPU in a notebook designated as being a PRO series ????? Unbelievable !

15. moseleyite macrumors member

You're probably right about that but I don't think that the 13" market are that bothered about having a quad-core processor - they just fancied an upgrade in the same manner as the 15" and 17" models and are consequently disappointed. Ah, well, I'll just have to start saving for a 15" I suppose!

16. ippikiokami macrumors regular

Why wouldn't it make sense. If you need more resolution you have an external monitor. But in cases where you want portability and processing power (photographers, musicians, videographers... tons of people) i7 would have been perfect.

17. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

I am so pissed at the lack of a new CPU for the 13" I nearly just ordered a windows laptop. Gonna have to go away and relax for a bit before I do anything stupid. My problem is I don't want anything bigger than 13" & I don't want to buy C2D in mid 2010:(

18. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Reasonable update for 15'' and 17'', not massive but not underwhelming. 13'' should have been i3 though, that would have made a lot of sense.

Just hate the constant price increases! When I started uni the basic white MB was £599, then it rocketed up! That was three years ago, now it's £816! Now we see an increase of £50 on the lowest MBP.

I love my MB, but my warranty isn't up until 2012. By then Macs may just not be worth the extra money. I always try to remind myself that windows doesn't need to to as good as OS X for me to switch back, just close enough to make the price jump to a Mac seem like a poor return on the investment.

19. andrewfee macrumors 6502

I'm just shocked at both the cost of the new 13" and how low-end it is for that price. Have Apple not noticed that it's 2010 and seen what their competitors are offering?

For the same price as a high-end 13" MBP with 8GB RAM a 500GB HDD and AppleCare I can get a Vaio ZV:
    • 13" 1920x1080 screen with 96% Adobe RGB coverage.
    • 2.66GHz Core i7 CPU (should be approx 30% quicker I've heard?)
    • 1GB Dedicated GeForce GT330M Graphics
    • 8GB 1066MHz DDR3 (same spec RAM, £120 less from Sony...)
    • 500GB 7200rpm HDD. (vs 5400rpm)
    • HDMI Video Out (vs mini DisplayPort which requires adapters to connect to anything)
    • 3x USB2 (vs 2x USB2 of which only one is usable with many devices)
    • Weighs 1/3 less.
    The downside? It runs Windows 7 instead of OSX and battery life is claimed to be 6.5 hours vs 10 hours. Though if it is 30% quicker, it's equivalent to 8.5 hours on the Mac if it's actually being used for work instead of web surfing as you'll be waiting a lot less for things to get done. Then again, you can't really get much work done with a 1280x800 screen anyway.

20. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

Like I've said in other threads, it depends where you live. U.S and Canadian prices are still good, so the 13" isn't a bad buy over here. In other nations, its not the best value.

21. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It's actually gone up by £81.

22. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

:eek:

23. CD3660 thread starter macrumors 68040

CD3660

Or 8.82%

24. CD3660 thread starter macrumors 68040

CD3660

So disappointed I've changed my plans. Instead of buying a 13" I've decided to postpone that purchase until there are decent improvements (hopefully later in the year) and replace my 2007 17" Santa Rosa MBP with an i7 instead.

I've just ordered it and it should be here by the 27th April.

For really mobile use I will use an iPad, which I hope is not more than two weeks away now.