Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

U.K. Smart Home Firm Hive Rolls Out HomeKit Support for Active Line of Products

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Hive, the U.K. smart connected home company backed by British Gas, has quietly added Apple HomeKit support to its range of smart home products.

First spotted by iMorehttps://www.imore.com/hive-begins-rollout-homekit-support-active-line-smart-accessories, the support is part of a software update that began rolling out late last week. When the soft launch is complete, Hive's HomeKit compatible accessories include all its Active Smart Plug, Heating, and Connected Lighting products.

The development comes some time after Hive said it was working on supporting HomeKit in its product line. The company made the original announcement after rolling out Siri Shortcuts support in June 2019.

To get Hive products up and running with HomeKit, owners will need the latest Hive Hub or the Hub 360, both of which can be updated to version 10.28.0 of the software via the Hive app.

After the update is installed, owners should open the menu in the Hive app and tap Install Devices, where they'll find the HomeKit option with setup instructions at the bottom of the menu.

Article Link: U.K. Smart Home Firm Hive Rolls Out HomeKit Support for Active Line of Products

Last edited:

centauratlas

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
The more that support it the better. Put pressure on google and amazon to be more privacy oriented.

One typo: “The company mad the original announcement...”

Comment

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, Scotland
That's great news! Just set my two thermostats up in under a couple of minutes. Will be nice to add these into some automation things now.
[automerge]1589887650[/automerge]
How do you update the hub firmware via the app?
I think it's automatic, I didn't need to do anything extra (and can't see any buttons anywhere to do / check manually). My Hive app updated today apparently.

Comment

hortod1

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2009
“...backed by British Gas...”

With the help of a little cabin fever, there it is... my inner 12 year old

Reactions: LeadingHeat
Comment

Spike1999

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2020
So, has anyone been able to do more than just their heating?

Yes, mine works, I've got hive lights, Apple home kit allowed me to add some shortcuts such as when I leave my home, or if say goodnight it'll turn off the lights.

Comment

Peter-P

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2008
Bournemouth, UK
Well done, Hive! I've been using Hive with great satisfaction for many years ... now with Siri added - GREAT! Thanks for the update!

Comment

njpryan

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2015
Yes, absolutely about time - have been waiting patiently for this. Got it setup very very easy.

Only 1 issue/query - I have 2 thermostats - but 3 zones - Downstairs heating - upstairs heating and Hot water - I did not see any where to be able to have the Hot water option on HomeKit - anyone else ??

Comment

Spike1999

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2020
Yes, absolutely about time - have been waiting patiently for this. Got it setup very very easy.

Only 1 issue/query - I have 2 thermostats - but 3 zones - Downstairs heating - upstairs heating and Hot water - I did not see any where to be able to have the Hot water option on HomeKit - anyone else ??
No I couldn't see it either, hopefully, they'll sort that out.
[automerge]1589891507[/automerge]
No I couldn't see it either, hopefully, they'll sort that out.
https://community.hivehome.com/s/article/What-Hive-devices-work-with-HomeKit
At the moment it’s only heating, lights and smart plugs.

Reactions: njpryan
Comment

mzanker

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2008
United Kingdom

HomeKit doesn't support hot water control, unfortunately.

Comment

Moccasin

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2011
Newcastle, UK

Apparently hot water control isn’t possible. I’ve seen a claim that this a HomeKit limitation but don’t know whether that’s true. I’m pleased integration has finally arrived but am a bit underwhelmed so far. It might spur me on to get a couple of smart plugs.

Comment

njpryan

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2015
Apparently hot water control isn’t possible. I’ve seen a claim that this a HomeKit limitation but don’t know whether that’s true. I’m pleased integration has finally arrived but am a bit underwhelmed so far. It might spur me on to get a couple of smart plugs.
I find it strange that HomeKit cannot do it in this case through the Hive app. The Hive app just treats the hot water option as another zone - why can't HomeKit use it in this way. Creating it as Zone 3 and just having it for on/off as temp not required as a setting.

Yes, I am now considering Hive lights now too.

Comment

danmart

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
I did not see any where to be able to have the Hot water option on HomeKit
HomeKit doesn't support hot water control, unfortunately.
I haven’t gotten into home automation for my heating yet (I have loads of Hue lights...) but I’ve been looking into it recently.

This product looked like it might handle hot water, but that was only based on reading the blurb, not hands-on experience:

It certainly claims to be able to control a separate boiler and the plate / wiring looks like it would replace the heating control panel in my kitchen (UK).

Comment

nostra999

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2008
Mine only seems to recognise my heating - I can't seem to find a way to get my lights showing.

Comment

DB2k

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2007
How do you update the hub firmware via the app?
power off the hub for a few seconds then power it on and it should race away to get new software, maybe reboot and sort itself out

Comment

mazz0

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
Can anyone recommend a cheaper UK HomeKit enables plug? In the US they look to have options from $10 but Hive’s plug and the Eve one Apple sell are £40 each! Hue’s is £30, and I assume that works with HomeKit as the rest of Hue does. Still though, anyone know of cheaper options? I’m renting so not replacing the outlet itself. I’d be particularly interested in a HomeKit enabled extension (maybe even surge protected).

Comment

Snapperjw

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2007
power off the hub for a few seconds then power it on and it should race away to get new software, maybe reboot and sort itself out

I contacted Hive via their web chat on their website. They sent over the latest firmware to my Hive Hub, this then took 15 mins to come across and reboot the hub. Then another 10 mins for backend Hive servers to update.

Once all of this was completed I was then able to link my Hive and HomeKit accounts

Comment

longdogs

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2007
Lichfield UK
Can anyone recommend a cheaper UK HomeKit enables plug? In the US they look to have options from $10 but Hive’s plug and the Eve one Apple sell are £40 each! Hue’s is £30, and I assume that works with HomeKit as the rest of Hue does. Still though, anyone know of cheaper options? I’m renting so not replacing the outlet itself. I’d be particularly interested in a HomeKit enabled extension (maybe even surge protected).

Check out Ikea’s Tradfi plugs. They’re HomeKit compatible and £10 each. You may need to get one of their hubs, but it’s the cheapest way I know.

Comment

LV426

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2013
Nest...where are you.

*Homekit support

Hive is a British Gas product. It's in their interest to promote interoperability.

Nest, on the other hand, is firmly embedded in the Google Borg, and there's no impetus to make Nest equipment play nicely with Apple. Just imagine, for instance, if you could take a Nest Camera and make use of your iCloud data account for video. Google would hit the self destruct button first before that happened.

It's a shame, because the Nest thermostat is a lovely piece of design, whereas the Hive thermostat looks like my cheap light dimmer switch from the 1980s. I have a Nest thermostat myself, and the only bad thing about it is that it depends on Google for its existence. It's mildly annoying that we have these competing (and incompatible) standards. It would be great if the EU issued a directive saying that hubs must be designed to be interoperable.

Reactions: runebinder
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.