[U.K.] The TrainLine App

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by andylyon, Oct 18, 2009.

1. andylyon macrumors 6502a

andylyon

thetranline.com has released a new iPhone app. It's also free, which is cool. The National Rail do a similar app but charge £4.99! Check out a review written by a friend here.

I have used it a couple and times and seems to do the job quickly and well.

AnDy

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

3. daveishere macrumors 6502a

daveishere

nice free alternative to the National Rail one, but i still think National Rail is slightly better though. £4.99 better though? you decide!

4. andylyon thread starter macrumors 6502a

andylyon

Yeah I think the NR is better, but the £4.99 price tag is no longer justifiable. This free app wins every time for me now.

5. Bagot69 macrumors member

Thetrain line app works just as well as National rails app but its Free cant argue with that!

6. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

What are the differences between the two? I was close to purchasing the National Rail app but then I decided to get the free one instead. Just wondering if I'm missing anything.
    Incidentally, there's another free UK train app as well. I can't decide which I like better between that one and the TrainLine: TrainSearch

7. dZp macrumors 6502a

dZp

Check out the good review linked to in the first post. It does compare the two apps.

8. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

D'oh! I didn't notice the link. Thanks.

9. andylyon thread starter macrumors 6502a

andylyon

Wrote by the person who persuaded me to switch! It only took them six years haha!

10. kiranmk2 macrumors 6502a

kiranmk2

I'm confused as to whether Train Search features live departures. Some reviews say it does, some say it doesn't and some say it did, but then stopped.

11. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

I don't think it does, at least I haven't found it yet...

12. danb77 macrumors 6502

They are there under "timetables". I think this is a German app which got ported, so some of the translations may be a bit off.

13. danb77 macrumors 6502

BTW The platform info on Train Search is more accurate and complete than the info in National Rail! E.g. info for London Liverpool St does not show up in National Rail at all

14. andylyon thread starter macrumors 6502a

andylyon

Surely it can't be, surely like the trainline app it actually just pulls the information directly from National Rail so how can it be more accurate? I presumed all they information the apps have access to is the same, and it is just adapted and presented in different ways across the apps?

Just my opinion..

15. jim.lynch macrumors member

People are too harsh on National Rail. On one occasion we were put off a faulty train. It instantly gave me an alternative route that I would never have considered. It new that a connecting train that I presumed would be gone was actually running late.
    On that one occasion it saved me nearly an hour. That's £4.99 paid for in my book.

16. kiranmk2 macrumors 6502a

kiranmk2

But does it show <em>live</em> information on delays. The times I've had a look it just shows an arrival/departure time, but I don't know if that's the scheduled time or the actual time. The nice thing about the live departure boards is it will let you know if all trains going north are delayed etc.

17. businessgo macrumors member

I totally agree with you. So far I haven't found any discrepancy between the information from National Rail and TheTrainLine app. Anyone willing to defer or share your experience?