Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you going to order the new iPhone 15?

• Total voters

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
OMG it took me hours but I am finally caught up on this thread! Now I can go feed the cats and do the laundry and get dinner sorted. (I didnā€™t say I was starting the dinner, tonight weā€™re calling it in.)šŸ˜†

My husband STILL has no tracking number from My Choice or Apple. He doesnā€™t care to try and track it down. We donā€™t have any information on our daughterā€™s pink iPhone 15. She doesnā€™t care either. Theyā€™re excited to be getting new phones but theyā€™re not expressive about it.

Iā€™m the only one all hyped up and Iā€™m actually the only one in danger of not being able to use and keep the phone. We all get migraines in this family but Iā€™m the only one, (and may it remain so), that has display flicker as a trigger. Whatever. I live in the moment.

When my husband told me he had a tracking number for my iPhone yesterday I literally danced around the room and cheered and exclaimed ā€œI did I did? What is it what is it what is it what is it?ā€

Almost 60 and Iā€™m still completely bonkers. iJustine seems reserved compared to me at my most enthusiastic! šŸ˜‚

meetsam23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2014
Interesting. Every time I trade in a device, the sales tax refund always gets added to the trade in value. The first time I did a trade in (I always bring my devices to an Apple Store), the rep who was helping me specifically said that I get the sales tax refunded on the value of the trade in. Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised. This has been happening for the past few years.
Been years I paid sales tax on any item I purchased

hinrgmike

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2003
North Richland Hills, TX
As with every year, set up pre pre-order with the IUP (Citizen's Bank) program earlier last week. Went to pre-order and took ~20 min due to challenges getting in on website or app. By time order placed (15 Pro Max 1TB Black Titanium), shipping slipped to Oct 4 - 9th window.

Since then, checked status on app daily to see if any change. Today (Sunday) just saw date change to Sep 22nd delivery. This afternoon, charge for Apple Sales Tax hit. But no charge from Citizen's Bank yet for 1st month.

As I recall from looking back at credit card statement, apple sales tax charged weekend prior and then Citizen's Bank charge did not process until day before (Thursday).

Does that align with other's experience? Must be when Apple officially triggers the "shipped" notice?

Since that is when Apple indicates the Citizen Bank charge will go thru. What's strange is in years prior to last year, both charges came back to back within 24hrs.

Lex404

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2023
PL (&US)
does anyone know why the 15PM(any color or memory capacity) is not available for pick-up at any Apple Store? the 15P is available for pick up on 9/22 from at least two of the local Apple Stores
I think lots placed duplicate orders as backup (delivery vs in store)

Blue ones were still plenty available when they took it downā€¦

Reactions: POWERPLANTHOMER

Tinaatwt

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2020
Yay!!! I thought this was gonna be the first phone that I didn't get on release day, it just got switched from October 4 through the 9th to this Friday!
32279c72496d005311060dfe781c46d1.png
Nice! Thatā€™s what I ordered as well.

AlphaGuitarist

macrumors 65816
Nov 12, 2014
Been years I paid sales tax on any item I purchased
Yes, of course. However, Apple refunds the sales tax balance on trade ins. It works like this - letā€™s say your trade in value is $500, then your total credit will be $500 plus whatever the sales tax on $500 is. When I traded in my 13 Pro last year, Apple was offering $600 for it. My total trade in credit was around $648, factoring in the NYC sales tax.

LK2020

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2020
Interesting, I only paid taxes on the difference. My wife traded in a 13 pro for the 15 pro max and paid $26(ish)
I only paid tax on the difference (15PM trading in a 14PM), $23.20. Now I financed with Apple on the Apple card, so don't know if that made a difference.

CodeSpyder

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Orlando, FL
My first iPhone story. We were on Verizon month-to-month because I was anticipating the first iPhone coming out. The original iPhone was only available on AT&T. It came out on a Friday but I didnā€™t buy it then. I called the Columbia Maryland Apple store the next day and asked the person how long the lines were for the iPhone, and he said ā€œWe have no lines.ā€œ And I ask, ā€œWell do you have any iPhones?ā€ And he replied, ā€œOh yes we have iPhones.ā€ So I immediately get in my car and I motor over to the Columbia Apple store to purchase the first iPhone. It had a hard drive and it was only good in Wi-Fi. The only cellular network was the edge net work. Does anybody remember the edge network? So it was really slow in cellular but it was fun in Wi-Fi and it had a calendar and it had iTunes and I could make calls with it, so I loved it and I never looked back.

Last edited:

iVegas

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2013
Iphone 5S. It was a nice phone. The best Iphone I had was probably the XR. Looking forward to the 15 Pro Max.
What was your first ever iPhone?

Mine: iPhone 3GS - 2008. Been upgrading every single year since then. Itā€™s 2023. šŸ¤Æ

View attachment 2266359
OG iPhone! It was an extravagant Christmas present and I remember begging my partner to let me open it early for the sole purpose of jailbreaking it before a new firmware dropped. It was painful to have to wrap it back up and put it under the tree again! šŸ˜‚

julit0

macrumors demi-god
Apr 19, 2010
Torrance, CA
Yes, of course. However, Apple refunds the sales tax balance on trade ins. It works like this - letā€™s say your trade in value is $500, then your total credit will be $500 plus whatever the sales tax on $500 is. When I traded in my 13 Pro last year, Apple was offering $600 for it. My total trade in credit was around $648, factoring in the NYC sales tax.
I think it does vary state to state on trade in sales tax credit. Although orders of magnitude higher, it's the same for cars...Some states you pay the sales tax on the difference between new car and trade-in value, and in others (like me in CA), regardless, I pay tax on the whole thing (new car) with no deduction on overall tax from trade-in. So, It depends...

meetsam23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2014
My first ever iPhone was 3GS back in 2009 when I first came to US. I had gotten an unlocked version from New Jersey after paying around 400 bucks (used to be 199 on ATT contract )..

I got a T-Mobile sim and when I tried to insert it in the phone the SIM card holder broke.

I was in Connecticut then and I rushed to a nearby Apple Store 20 miles away through a cab..

Apple replaced the phone but the store rep gave me bad looks when I asked him to put the T-Mobile SIM card in it šŸ˜‚..

I immediately got out of the store, came back to the apartment I was staying in and with help of a friend I was able to put in T-Mobile sim in unlocked 3GS iPhone and since then never had any other phone but iPhone.

julit0

macrumors demi-god
Apr 19, 2010
Torrance, CA
does anyone know why the 15PM(any color or memory capacity) is not available for pick-up at any Apple Store? the 15P is available for pick up on 9/22 from at least two of the local Apple Stores.
It's all about the Tetra-Prism camera on the PM.

I think lots placed duplicate orders as backup (delivery vs in store)

Blue ones were still plenty available when they took it downā€¦
I doubt it's duplicate orders as most of us just had a hell of a time putting one order in or maybe 2-3 for a household...but Duplicates? Only @TheYayAreaLiving šŸŽ—ļø šŸ˜†

caesarp

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2012
Does anybody have this?
Anker Prime 67W USB C Charger, Anker GaN Wall Charger, 3-Port Compact Fast PPS Charger
would you recommend this to use to charge iPhone 15 PM and Macbook M1 2021 at the same time? Is it safe?
Yes, I have it. Using it right now on my iPad Air 4th gen (and plan to add in the iPhone 15). If you plug in both your devices together with this Anker 67 watt charger, you'll get very slow charging on your Macbook (which I believe can handle at least 45 watts), as 65 watts on the Anker (it is 65 with 2 devices plugged in) will be divided amongst the 2 ports -- and you'll have no headroom. You are better off getting this 100 watt Anker, if you want to charge both your MacBook and phone at the same time:

It will be safe either way. But with a Macbook and another device, I think you want, at minimum, a 100 watt charger, like the one I linked.

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012
Friday is going to be so tough for me. At least I know my iPhone wonā€™t be delivered until 6pm. Iā€™ll leave work by 5 so I can be ready! I have a bunch of meetings and interviews so I canā€™t take Friday off. šŸ˜‘

I know the struggle. This is the one week there is a slight break and I have good coverage. Next week would have been impossible. At least you know your driverā€™s schedule and can time it!

LK2020

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2020
I only paid tax on the difference (15PM trading in a 14PM), $23.20. Now I financed with Apple on the Apple card, so don't know if that made a difference.
Also wanted to add that the $23.20 above is charged on my Apple card now before I sent the trade-in back and I looked last year and I was charged sales tax of $24.54 on 9/8 when I preordered the 14PM with trading the 13PM.

AlphaGuitarist

macrumors 65816
Nov 12, 2014
I think it does vary state to state on trade in sales tax credit. Although orders of magnitude higher, it's the same for cars...Some states you pay the sales tax on the difference between new car and trade-in value, and in others (like me in CA), regardless, I pay tax on the whole thing (new car) with no deduction on overall tax from trade-in. So, It depends...
I just traded in my car last May. Iā€™ll have to take a look and see if there was a sales tax refund on the dealership paperwork. As far as Apple goes, below is a screen cap from my 11 Pro trade in invoice back in 2021. The sales tax balance was definitely refunded.
IMG_4578.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.