U.S. carrier?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sigurd18, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Sigurd18 macrumors newbie

Dear Forum,

Any suggestions which U.S. carrier to choose? We are a family who will move from Europe to New Jersey for ten months, and we will need a plan for three or four people (depending on whether our 8 year old son really needs his own phone…). One person (me) will have an iPhone 4 (unlocked from the U.K.) and so would need a dataplan as well as a microsim. It is probably good if international calls does not have horrible rates, but mainly we will make calls within the U.S.

Thanks beforehand
    Sigurd

2. Orioles Magic macrumors newbie

Well, if you want an iPhone 4, you only have 1 choice. AT&T.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Why? He has an unlocked UK iPhone 4 which will work with any GSM network that runs on a frequency the iPhone 4 supports. Is AT&T really the only GSM network in the US?

4. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

I'm not American but I think AT&T is the only carrier offering compatible microsims at the moment.

5. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

I smell troll But I am going to feet it anyway,

For your iPhone if you want 3G service your only option is AT&T (Only carrier that support 3G HSPA (HSUPA as well), if you don't care about 3G speed them T-mobile is also an option (your phone will only work on EDGE speeds), and I don't think that visual voice mail works there either (you need someone to confirm that).

for the rest of your family, you need to look into the specific area that you are moving to, to see which carrier have the better coverage.

The bottom line is that no carrier is better than other, all of them are crooks here in the US and all they want is your money, you need to make peace with that and find the one that service you the best for the area that you use the most.

I am a happy AT&T user in my area (Atlanta, GA and South Florida), I even get ultra fast HSUPA 7.2 MBits when I am in miami, however some other people are not happy with them in other areas...

just my $0.2

6. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

If he doesn't care for 3G, he can use T-mobile which also use GSM networks but use a difference freq for its 3G.

7. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

8. Sigurd18 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am surely serious and no troll. Just trying to find some guidance before we get to Princeton later next month.

Sigurd

9. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

well then apologies are in place, it just seen like a weird question at first (to me):eek:, but my reply is still valid, I hope it help!