U.S iPad 3G will it work in Europe?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bartsphoto, Apr 19, 2011.

1. bartsphoto macrumors member

Hey forum I was just thinking. I'm going to Europe in June mostly Poland planing on taking my first gen iPad 3G I know that there is a phone place that has micro sim card for the iPad. All I would like to know will my U.S at&t iPad work on there sim card is the 1st gen iPad 3G unlocked? This is mainly a photography trip I'm doing. Thanks

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

The iPad is unlocked so European sim cards will work.

3. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

As long as it is locked to AT&T, it will work on any GSM micro-sim card on Europe, however if your iPad is locked to Verizon, it will not work since it uses CDMA technology, not GSM.

4. bartsphoto thread starter macrumors member

Thank you

Thank you for the fast replys it's 4:19am and I can't sleep so i was just thinking of asking this thanks a lot

5. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It's a first gen iPad, that's only available with GSM.

6. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

Oh right, sorry didn't see the post :)

7. bartsphoto thread starter macrumors member

It's ok thanks for the help still

8. AVR2 macrumors 6502

Pedantic of me I know, but isn't it more accurate to say "As long as it's an AT&T/Verizon iPad...", given that they're not actually carrier-locked, they have radio communications hardware that requires them to be used on specific types of 3G network, which is a different thing?

Just FWIW, there *are* CDMA 3G networks in Europe, so theoretically you can use a Verizon iPad 2 in Europe. The big problem is that there aren't anywhere near as many CDMA networks as there are GSM, many of the major European countries are GSM-only, and in those countries where CDMA coverage exists, it's often not nationwide. But that doesn't affect the OP, given that they have a first-gen iPad :)

9. Mr.C macrumors 601

Bear in mind you may well need to connect the iPad to a computer with iTunes in order to download the carrier settings for the new sim/network.

10. aneftp macrumors 68040

Just for the record, neither the ipad or ipad 2 are "locked" to AT$T. The GSM iPads are all sold unlocked and will work with any carrier that supports GSM. Now whether you get 3G HSPA depends on the frequency your carrier will support. In the case of Tmobile USA, you will not get 3G since both1700/2100.

But Tmobile UK, etc will get 3G because 2100 frequency is supported in the iPad.

11. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

I meant that the iPad 2 is locked to AT&T in terms of GSM technology, I think you misunderstood there, or maybe I wasn't clear enough.

12. soulreaper macrumors newbie

soulreaper

regarding on the new iPad 2, is it consider locked?
    I'm planning to buy an iPad 2 3G version and bring it back to Malaysia.
    Just wondering would it work if I get it here and get the data plan back home in Malaysia?

I'm sorry if my question seems inappropriate to the topic?

13. gregm123456 macrumors member

You were using "lock" in an ambiguous way. In the context of SIMs, this is what "locked" means:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIM_lock

14. AVR2 macrumors 6502

Yes, it will work. iPads bought direct from Apple are *not* carrier-locked. Legion93's use of "locked" is a bit inappropriate, because the word has come to mean "locked to a specific carrier", which iPads are not. If you buy an AT&T iPad you can only use it on the AT&T network *in the USA*, but it will also work on any 3G GSM network anywhere else in the world.

By the looks of things Malaysia has both GSM and CDMA networks, but you probably want to buy an AT&T (GSM) iPad instead of a Verizon (CDMA) one for maximum usefulness in the largest number of places.

15. aeykeay macrumors newbie

ipad 2 US to UK Warranty Issues

Hi,

I am getting my iPad 2 from the US and need to know whether the warranty is effected if I take it into an Apple store in London or if there is screen bleed what would happen. Would they change it or I have to pay them.

Thanks