Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

milbournosphere

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
San Diego, CA
Single-function devices = dying.
I disagree. I maintain that a device that does one thing and does it well far exceeds the value of a device that tries to deliver everything and the kitchen sink. It would be nice if multi-function capability would advance to the point where it truly works (and works well), but for now I will be happy to live with having to carry more than one device at a time. The iPhone is starting to get us there, but we're not there yet.

slapguts

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2008
The iPhone has to be hurting iPod sales. Two years ago, I left the house to get a GPS, a battery for my Motorola Razr, and an iPod if there was money left over. Stopped at an AT$T store first, played around with an iPhone, and saved myself a couple trips. Haven't gone back since. Don't even own an iPod right now, or see myself buying one anytime soon. Maybe a last-gen Shuffle, to stick to the side of the motorcycle helmet.

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
Please do tell.

For example, I have 1 computer that browses the internet and does work, and 1 computer that plays games. Ideally, I would have 3 computers: 1 for internet, 1 for work, and 1 for games.

At least, I think that's what he means.

mikes70mustang

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
US
For example, I have 1 computer that browses the internet and does work, and 1 computer that plays games. Ideally, I would have 3 computers: 1 for internet, 1 for work, and 1 for games.

At least, I think that's what he means.

Work and internet computer-all in one, gaming-console, problem solved.

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
Work and internet computer-all in one, gaming-console, problem solved.

Problem with that.

I game on a PC (don't even have a TV).

I work on a Mac.

I want to have a very mobile internet machine, which must be a netbook. PC only, therefore (EDIT: unless Apple makes a netbook, of course).

As such, that's 3 separate machines in an ideal world.

jzuena

macrumors 65816
Feb 21, 2007
Geez! The world moves so fast these days. The "traditional MP3 player" is less than 10 years old, and it's already like this old style thing that modern technology has made look old fashioned.

I thought it was just over ten years (1997 or 1998)?

They already sold 220 million! Who else don't have an iPod? Anyone?

I didn't have an iPod of any kind until last fall when I got a 1st gen touch from the refurb store just before the 2nd gen came out. Since then I've added a 2nd gen shuffle for myself and one for my wife. Before that I just used TCPMP on my iPaq (which is the only other digital media player I've ever owned).

15danielp

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2006
Tucson, Arizona
Most people who want an iPod have already bought one. Now, Apple's largest competitor is themselves, and they haven't released anything ground breaking since the Touch and iPhone.

True. My 5.5G iPod is now 3 years old and works fine. 80Gigs is getting full though so I've been waiting for a nice update to get a new one.

That hasn't happened.

Not much has updated other then storage space. I don't wanna spend $250 just for more GBs.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I disagree. I maintain that a device that does one thing and does it well far exceeds the value of a device that tries to deliver everything and the kitchen sink. It would be nice if multi-function capability would advance to the point where it truly works (and works well), but for now I will be happy to live with having to carry more than one device at a time. The iPhone is starting to get us there, but we're not there yet.

I've been there since my 3 year old Sony Ericsson came out. It doesn't matter that the iPod is a much better mp3 player. I only need music to play to be happy. Carrying 2 devices around is pain, keeping both charged is a pain.

Many people feel this way. 1 device that does everything, and does it good enough, is better than 3 incredible devices.

Sometimes, Good Enough is good enough.

Chisholm

macrumors regular
May 31, 2002
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
I got an email from our Apple rep a few weeks ago and he was pushing for year end sales. Between X.6 and a decent line up of machines I can see a reason for an increase year over year improvement. Back to school offerings in years past haven't been so, um, "fresh."

Kyprioth657

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2007
Wow, that's great news both ways. The more Mac computers sell, the more Microsoft will get off its ass and innovate, and the more generic iPods sold, the more Apple will be forced to improve...rather than say, just bump up the processing speed of a product 50% and call it a "new generation"

donlphi

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2006
Seattle (M$ Country)
I've been there since my 3 year old Sony Ericsson came out. It doesn't matter that the iPod is a much better mp3 player. I only need music to play to be happy. Carrying 2 devices around is pain, keeping both charged is a pain.

Many people feel this way. 1 device that does everything, and does it good enough, is better than 3 incredible devices.

Sometimes, Good Enough is good enough.

I agree. Anyway... a man can only carry so many man-purses before his friends start asking questions.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Makes sense, why have an iPod and phone when you can buy one device that has both. The decline in iPod sales is natural and I believe will continue as the iPhone start spreading to more markets and getting cheaper.

There was a reason why Apple entered the mobile phone market after all ;)

Even Bill Gates, sitting at the WSJ D Conference with Steve Jobs back in 2005 or so, said aloud, "iPods are dead. The future is with do-it-all smartphones."

(or something very similar... can't find the exact quote)

Chisholm

macrumors regular
May 31, 2002
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
I agree. Anyway... a man can only carry so many man-purses before his friends start asking questions.

One side of me disagrees in regards to the compromise of quality, yet, the man-purse toting aspect is far worse. And yes, I did sport a Body Glove fanny pack for a summer. But it was in the late 1980's and I had a bike for my main form of transportation.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
One side of me disagrees in regards to the compromise of quality, yet, the man-purse toting aspect is far worse. And yes, I did sport a Body Glove fanny pack for a summer. But it was in the late 1980's and I had a bike for my main form of transportation.

There's a point where "compromise in quality" is really getting out of hand though. Most mp3 players today play music just fine. Most cell phones play mp3s just fine. Sure the iPod might have an edge, but that's not to say that others player don't work just fine.

Sometimes, you just have to know when enough is enough. That edge the iPod offers ? Just not worth carrying a whole extra device to me and many other people.

APPLENEWBIE

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2006
The high desert, USA
If Apple thinks that they will convert every ipod Touch buyer to a iPhone buyer just to get a camera... They had better expand their US providers to more than just ATT... and even then...

I think apple sort of blew an opportunity to replace the ipod touches for a large number of current iPod Touch users... by adding features. As so many have said lately, there is really no reason to replace a perfectly good 16gb current version touch with a new one.

I also think that just maybe, the Steve was not happy with putting in the touch the little video camera they put in the nano. I think that there would have been just as loud a howl of unrest had they done that, instead of a proper still cam/video cam like the iphone. Had they done that, I know I would have thought it was a lowball idea to place that little video camera in the touch...

LAS.mac

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2009
Mexico
Convergence. That the word.
I agree that one device which wants to do, badly, three functions. Is not good.
However, my iPhone can be used as a phone, a mini computer, taking notes and allowing me to keep my appointments, agenda, read PDF and e-books. Listen music, watch videos, take pictures and, eventually, videos. Yes, the quality is not the one of a computer for documents and heavy work; the music is not such as listening to the opera, and video not like being in a theatre.
Or taking picture is not like my old reflex.
However All is compensed by size, portability and the ability to have everything right there at the right moment.

ctucci

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2008
Yer Mom's basement.
pure mp3 players are dying but computers increasingly move towards single-purpose devices.

Not here, we constantly add tasking to systems, no matter their OS. Skype, Itunes, video monitoring, remote-ing in to make config changes/quality videos/four color brochures/audio commercials/web site changes.

I've tried replicating core LOB functionality on Iphones and other handhelds. They simply aren't fast enough to respond to moderate-to-deep internal/external customer requests for our needs. You wind up wanting to throw that handheld or netbork right up against a wall in frustration.

But on this Imac with two screens - no problem.

And there's absolutely nothing out there (right now) that does this as seamlessly and elegantly as Leopard on Macs with nice big screens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.