U2 - iPhone 6 Tie In

mjschabow

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 25, 2013
I'm sure many here will go into a fit of rage since it's kind of the in thing to hate U2 nowadays, but just wanted to pass along some pretty strong rumors that have started making rounds around Twitter from music journalists and sources inside Univeral Records/U2's camp that there is going to be some kind of tie in with U2 next Tuesday, possibly resulting in their new album or single being preloaded on the iPhone 6.

This would also be fitting considering the massive stage and rock concert like soundsystem being built for next Tuesday's event. Rumors are heating up that U2 will be performing at the event next Tuesday.

More to come as the rumors trickle in.

Dave Meadows

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2010
I'm sure many here will go into a fit of rage since it's kind of the in thing to hate U2 nowadays, but just wanted to pass along some pretty strong rumors that have started making rounds around Twitter from music journalists and sources inside Univeral Records/U2's camp that there is going to be some kind of tie in with U2 next Tuesday, possibly resulting in their new album or single being preloaded on the iPhone 6.

This would also be fitting considering the massive stage and rock concert like soundsystem being built for next Tuesday's event. Rumors are heating up that U2 will be performing at the event next Tuesday.

Wow! I hope so.. I LOVE U2!

scott99

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2007
Wow! I hope so.. I LOVE U2!
Agreed, I'm listening to them as we speak, on my iPhone 5 :). Love that band. One of the best concerts I ever saw, U2 in 1987. Two of my favorites, Apple and U2, should make for a great day !

Dave Meadows

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2010
Agreed, I'm listening to them as we speak, on my iPhone 5 :). Love that band. One of the best concerts I ever saw, U2 in 1987. Two of my favorites, Apple and U2, should make for a great day !

Ha! I've still got U2 at Glastonbury on my planner from 2011. No blu ray or DVD if the concert so I'm keeping!

scott99

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2007
Ha! I've still got U2 at Glastonbury on my planner from 2011. No blu ray or DVD if the concert so I'm keeping!
The always put on a great show. I still get chills when I watch the Super Bowl half time show from 2002.

rctlr

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2012
Is it that Apple needs U2 to sell more iPhones, or U2 needs Apple to sell their new album?

mjschabow

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 25, 2013
Is it that Apple needs U2 to sell more iPhones, or U2 needs Apple to sell their new album?

I think U2 has much more to gain. They haven't released an album in almost 6 years. They need wind under their sails when reentering the public eye.

Izauze

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2013
I'm sure many here will go into a fit of rage since it's kind of the in thing to hate U2 nowadays,
Was it ever *not* the in thing to hate U2? They're just so damn cheesy and hate-able ;)

...If not, then I guess I hated U2 "before it was cool."

mjschabow

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 25, 2013
Was it ever *not* the in thing to hate U2? They're just so damn cheesy and hate-able ;)

...If not, then I guess I hated U2 "before it was cool."

Between 1984-1997 they were in their prime and the haters were far and few between. There seems to be a new generation that hates Bono/U2.

scapegoat81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2012
Philly

This would also be fitting considering the massive stage and rock concert like sound system being built for next Tuesday's event. Rumors are heating up that U2 will be performing at the event next Tuesday.

I saw this on Twitter too. I hope there's a way for Apple to know how many users removed the pre-loaded U2 content & deleted from their iTunes library. Not a big U2 fan

Solomani

macrumors 68040
Sep 25, 2012
Alberto, Canado
I'm sure many here will go into a fit of rage since it's kind of the in thing to hate U2 nowadays
huh?! It's the "in thing" to hate U2 nowadays? Is this some kind of "in thing" with the Millennials or something?

Not sure what U2 has done lately to deserve universal contempt…. I must have missed it.

mjschabow

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 25, 2013
huh?! It's the "in thing" to hate U2 nowadays? Is this some kind of "in thing" with the Millennials or something?

Not sure what U2 has done lately to deserve universal contempt…. I must have missed it.

They definitely haven't done much but you'd be surprised at the amount of people that absolutely hate them, most too young to remember Joshua Tree of course.

scott99

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2007
Between 1984-1997 they were in their prime and the haters were far and few between. There seems to be a new generation that hates Bono/U2.
I think it may be a political thing. I know my uber republican relatives hate Bono and U2.

balzmcfearson

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2009
Brooklyn

I could see a free iTunes download. Given apples stance on crapware thus far and u2 being such a polarizing band I highly doubt it would be preinstalled.

thaifood

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011
I missed out on seeing them a couple years ago in Sydney. Definitely catching the next one!