Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adamberti

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2003
Ok so the iPod Photo is supposed to have 15 hours battery life, but then there is this on the website:

Hiking the backcountry? iPod Photo provides up to 8 hours of battery life between charges.

Hmm, Old specs and they decided to upgrade it?

Also, it says this:

Download guides to restaurants and other attractions and easily access them using iPod Photo’s versatile Click Wheel.

Does that just mean a text file? Or is there something else...

matthutch

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2004
Perth, Western Australia
new ipods look cool, battery life on the photo ipod is pretty awesome.
however no ITMS australia or canada is pretty annoying.

I wonder if it is the record industries holding it up or if apple is delaying it for some other reason?

as an aussie, i find it pretty amazing that ARIA (and other record industries around the world) moan and complain about people getting music from P2P networks, yet it seems as though they are doing their very best to hold up the release of a legal alternative that has such a large market share world wide like ITMS.

oh well, enough of a rant for now ;) here's hoping they release it soon here in australia

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Coooool

Ok all, a little more info for you:

iPod Photo battery life and screen = PHAT
iPod Photo size = FAT

It seems the color ipod is .75 inches thick, as opposed to .57 for the b/w models. I suppose that's to be expected, the screen is a drain, and the extra battery life doesn't come from magic battery elves or a tiny nuclear reactor.

Price is a little high for me, but I don't need a color screen. Those that do probably will not have a problem paying 500-600 for a glorified (very glorified...i love the pod) music player. But 600...to me that sounds high. That's almost an eMac! But damn, that is one purdy screen. Hope someone figures out how to hack it to play movies :D

U2 Ipod comes with a $50 coupon for the complete U2 collection set, consisting of 400 songs. So, if you plan to buy that set, the price is virtually the same as the 20 gigger. And red and black is way cool.

Music Store: Maybe Canada should adopt the Euro ;)

--DT

mdetry

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2004
Barcelona
stoid said:
What's new about iTunes 4.7? Just increased support for new stores or is there some new functionality?

Just bought a song in Spain wiht Itunes 4.6. I think 4.7 has to do with Iphoto Ipod

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Depending on the slide show settings you could get some poor quality video going I would think... video is after all just a slide show of images with audio in the background... you might only get 1 frame per second... :)

williamsonrg

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2004
Denver, CO
The 3G iPod I got just before the 4G's were released just gets more obsolete every day.. I love the U2 iPod, and I hope it's a sign of things to come (although I don't know how many bands are successful enough to justify getting their own iPod). The Photo iPod is almost certainly over-priced, but then again, that's been said about most things from Apple. There's still a market, and I'm sure the price will come down.

Just my $0.02. Of course, had I saved those two cents, I'd only need 49,898 more for a photo iPod.

srobert

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2002
WOW!!! Beautifull. The 2 inch color screen can't be that crisp right? The font doesn't look pixelated at all.

photoplaying20041026.jpg

deral

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
Kahuku, Hawai'i
No doubt that this holiday season will see a lot of ipods sold. I can't believe how much choices we have now. Gosh, anyone wanna buy one of my organs?

itsaploy

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2004
iTunes in Canada will never happen

There is zero chance for iTunes to ever open in Canada.

Here's why: The Canadian Gov't has decided to tax MP3 players, flash memory and CD's - and all ancillary products, to form a fund to "compensate Canadian artists that have been hurt by illegal file-swapping".

The fact is - these artists are not being compensated - this tax just fills a slush fund that is being used for the Gov'ts own purposes - no funds have ever been disbursed to the "starving artists".

There is also no formula to allocate the funds logically or any other responsible decisions regarding this fund.

Allowing legal downloading in Canada puts the Government in a hypocrytical situation, where they'd have to tax a product, based on it's illegal use - when it also has a legal use.

Mark my words: In Canada, there will never be an iTunes music store.

Marshall

Xenious

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
Texas, USA
I can't buy one without buying two (one for me, one for wife) ahah, so its a double hit!

FYI new iTunes 4.7 wants new Quicktime 6.5.2 and neither is in software update.

Superdrive

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Dallas, Tx
Is it just me, or does that screen alone make you want to get a photo iPod? I got a 4g 40GB the day it came out, so I am not in the market by any means. I could easily eBay and iPod, but will probably wait for 2G iPod Photo.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
But wait! There's more!

Is this new?
The iPod Store

And, for some weird reason, the price of a U2 pod is reduced 20 bucks in the education store, while all other pods are 30 bucks less. I guess they know who will by the bulk of those :D

And yes, that screen looks very sharp...I do believe that's what we can expect to see.

--DT

reckless_0001

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2003
Canada
Dude, don't get mad, because your hopes were dashed... it's happening next month...

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2004/oct/26itmseu.html

itsaploy said:

Here's why: The Canadian Gov't has decided to tax MP3 players, flash memory and CD's - and all ancillary products, to form a fund to "compensate Canadian artists that have been hurt by illegal file-swapping".

The fact is - these artists are not being compensated - this tax just fills a slush fund that is being used for the Gov'ts own purposes - no funds have ever been disbursed to the "starving artists".

There is also no formula to allocate the funds logically or any other responsible decisions regarding this fund.

Allowing legal downloading in Canada puts the Government in a hypocrytical situation, where they'd have to tax a product, based on it's illegal use - when it also has a legal use.

Marshall

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
What's new in iTunes 4.7

iTunes 4.7 includes support for copying photos to an iPod photo, the ability to show duplicate songs in your library, and other performance improvements.
Pretty straightforward, although they spelled "iPod Photo" with a lowercase "p".

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
iTunes 4.7 downloaded. There's now an iPod option in the preferences. Mine just says "No ipod connected" but I guess this means you can change the options (such as auto update ipod and stuff) without having the iPod plugged in, plus new options specific to the Photo iPod.

EDIT:

No AACplus then. Never mind. There's also an option for the mini player to stay on top of all other windows in the advanced tab. I think this is quite a useful feature.

FoxyKaye

macrumors 68000
Wow. Just wow.

*wipes drool off chin*

I have a 2G 20Gig iPod that I love, but if I had the cash right now you can just bet I'd be picking up one of those sweet-looking U2 iPods. Gawd, I remember listening to U2 in gradeschool 20 years ago - back then I bet no-one could have even imagined a U2 iPod while listening to "Wide Awake in America."

The photo iPod is cool too, although I can't wait to see what will be released next year when the capacity of mini HDDs are even larger. It kind of makes me wonder whether or not we'll start seeing more typical PDA features being built into iPods now that they have color screens, massive HDDs and photo/music/movie(?) features. It kind of seems like a natural progression - a portable audio/visual/PDA type device that picks the best features from all of these areas and pulls them together into something fun.

Apple's really going no holds barred in the digital music player arena - just when other companies are starting to catch up, they raise the bar even higher. Go Steve!

the_mole1314

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Akron, OH
itsaploy said:

Marshall

Which explains why Apple released the EU iTMS Press Release it states that Apple will open their Canada store next month.

Who thought never ment next month?

Also, anyone see the new solitare? it's awsome!

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
:D Just ordered mine. Its more expensive then I was thinking it was going to be but *shrugs* One time price that should last me another 2 years or so, so I'm good with that.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
Black U2 iPod. Rather sweet actually, wouldn't mind it if all iPods were colour. Then again theirs always:
http://www.colorwarepc.com/

iPod photo...meh. I personally can't see myself having that much of a use for the abuility to view photos on a 2" screen. Considering the fact that 99% of the time my iPod sits in my pocket un-seen I really have no use for a colour screen. Kinda nifty I suppose but I certnaly don't regret not having it.

iTMS....please...for the love of god...let us have it in Canada. I know this is probably some dumb government/CRTC thing holding it up but honestly I just bought shadows fall's the war within on CD and I played the disk once...to rip it in iTunes. I'm sick of paying for plastic I aint using.

so really on all this update's a little weak to me. I think last weeks iBook update was of more interest.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.