U2410 monitor with MBP - sleep problem

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by GlynJones, Nov 1, 2009.

1. GlynJones macrumors 6502

I just bought a Dell U2410 to use as an external monitor (connected with DVI) with my MBP. After initial problems getting the best calibration setup I'm now very happy with it except for one annoyance.

The problem: When the MBP puts its display to sleep the Dell monitor goes into sleep mode and then immediately wakes up and then goes back into sleep mode, cycling like this indefinitely.

Any solutions?

Thanks!

Glyn Jones.

2. StephC macrumors newbie

Hi Glyn,
    I don't have the same problem with my MacBook Pro and my Dell U2410 monitor, but I suppose that is because it is connected via mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable that I bought from Circuit Assembly (also available at Monoprice.com for less).

Maybe the problem comes form your DVI to mini DisplayPort adapter?

3. GlynJones thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks,
    I've got the pre-unibody MBP so I have to connect via DVI but you could have a point there.

4. GlynJones thread starter macrumors 6502

I've connected the MBP via DVI to VGA and the U2410 now power sleeps as normal.

The problem is this really isn't a long term solution as I have slight ghosting even though the DVI to VGA cable is fully screened.

So it looks like a problem with DVI on certain computers and graphics cards. The question is what is Dell doing to fix this problem?

This is a Pro screen connected to a Pro computer so should work. I love the monitor but if a solution cannot be found to get DVI to DVI working then I'll have no option but to return the monitor.

Glyn Jones.