UAD thunderbolt MCP monitor

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by brianwilson, Jun 18, 2014.

1. brianwilson macrumors newbie

Hi all, i'm having a proper 'mare here and would really appreciate some help!

i have a late 2011 MBP with 1 thunderbolt port. i am using this to run an external monitor using DVI adaptor.

i have just bought a UAD apollo twin - how do i power my monitor (has VGA, DVI and DP inputs) as well as run my apollo twin.

:confused:

massive thanks for any help.

2. Diastro macrumors member

Diastro

Universal Audio, being the most self-centered ******* company in audio land, have once again outdone themselves in douchebaggery and failed to put a Thunderbolt throughput connector on the product.

A Thunderbolt dock would do the trick, although they are by no means cheap.

There's several of them on the market. The one from Belkin is probably most popular.

http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F4U055/

Getting an Apple Thunderbolt Display would work too. It has a Thunderbolt port on the back.

3. Johbremat macrumors regular

Contrary to Diastro's suggestion, you'll need one of the docks listed below and connect your display via HDMI, if possible:

(The Belkin dock won't duplicate ports. If you have a look at you'll see two Thunderbolt ports - one will be used connecting it to your machine leaving you with a single port again)

What you'd probably prefer is a Thunderbolt HUB, which to my knowledge don't exist.

4. brianwilson thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks dude, problem with these hubs is that they say they have 2 TB ports, but you have to use one to connect to your laptop, meaning you still only have 1 TB port!!

do you know if i can use a usb to dvi adaptor to run my monitor from the hub?

5. brianwilson thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah, i'm just getting to understand that........!

do you know if a hdmi to dvi adaptor would work for my external monitor from the hub? it's about the inly solution i can afford right now!

6. Johbremat macrumors regular

Sorry chief. Not using any of those products, I couldn't confirm.