UAG case chemicals cancer warning?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by AintDutchNotMuch, Oct 1, 2017.

1. AintDutchNotMuch macrumors regular

AintDutchNotMuch

I've got the iPhone 8 since launch day and I'm very happy with it. Two days ago I received the UAG Pathfinder which is exactly what I was looking for in a case. The problem is that today I was checking the box for info and I saw the following warning:

"This product may contain chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm".

You can understand that I wasn't really pleased to see this. I've googled it and read that the warning is placed on more products. They even want to place it in Starbucks stores. It has something to do with some rule called 'Propostion 65'.

I also have a Spigen Ultra Hybrid case for another phone, but the box doesn't have that warning, while they're also based in California. So you might think it's a 'safer' case to use.

I'm thinking about returning the case, but like I said, for me the UAG case is the perfect one. What would you do if you were in my place? I'm a little concerned:(

IMG_0217.JPG
    IMG_0218.JPG
    IMG_0219.JPG

2. sactownbwoy macrumors 6502

It’s a California thing. Pretty much because Propostion 65, almost every product in California has to have that warning. Doesn’t mean anything.

3. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

Yeah, California is like the hippie generation state with wacko rules now, and that’s why I moved out. :confused: :D

4. TSquareX macrumors member

You will also see the warnings on most Speck and Sonix cases. By nature, the polycarbonate plastics, the hard shell that gives the cases their strength contain BPA which is a known carcinogenic. Some brands also have a warning label as an insert inside the packaging.

5. Strelok macrumors 6502a

Strelok

Ignore anything from California in regards to cancer warnings. It's downright stupid, and it completely defeats the purpose of it. If you say everything causes cancer, why would anyone believe the labels anymore?

6. TSquareX macrumors member

BPA causes cancer and it is in many phone cases.

7. bhodinut macrumors member

bhodinut

Play it safe. Just don't eat it. You'll be fine.

8. Strelok macrumors 6502a

Strelok

If you are eating your cases, you have other issues to deal with.

9. TSquareX macrumors member

Actually, there are studies showing it can be leached through the skin, so if you hold your phone all day in your hand, there is some risk of exposure. Certainly not to the level of eating it though.

10. AintDutchNotMuch, Oct 1, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2017

AintDutchNotMuch thread starter macrumors regular

AintDutchNotMuch

The Spigen Ultra Hybrid case that I have on my 6s Plus has a polycarbonate back and TPU bumper. You're saying that by nature all polycarbonate plastics contain BPA, still there's no warning on the box of the Spigen case at all:confused:

Thanks everyone for the comments by the way. I'm even more confused now lol. I might return the case cause I'd rather be safe than sorry. I understand that there's many things that are or might be carcinogenic (water bottles, fries, coffee etc.) and I try to be more conscious about it. The thought of holding this case in my hand so many times a day doesn't give me a reassured feeling. Maybe I'll just go with the Apple leather case:)

11. Kapybarus macrumors regular

Whoa, so the skin leak leading to cancer is real?

12. sactownbwoy macrumors 6502

If you like the UAG case keep it. That warning is a stupid California thing and is on almost everything and even posted on isles in stores.

13. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

Wouldn’t the news be widespread other than California?

Reproductive harm and birth defects? I don’t have to worry about that. I’m old