UAG Monarch vs Catalyst Impact

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by D1G1T4L, Jan 28, 2018.

1. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Have a leather iPhone X case and want something a bit more rugged. Narrowed it down to the UAG Monarch and the Catalyst Impact. Anyone have experience with both and can give some advice?

2. blaine07 macrumors 68000

I don’t have the Monarch for X but have had it for 7+. I do have the Catalyst for X though.

I really like the catalyst. I just didn’t wish back was clear on them. It’s a solid case and rates highly by many top shelf reviewers. I am not HUGE on the mute rocker knob, but I don’t mind it. Has good buttons, feels good in hand and rather slim for the drop protection it provides. The UAG in my previous experience are much more bulky, but definitely very solid cases with good buttons. I have fondled UAG at Best Buy for X...

Personally, even not having a Monarch yet, I don’t think you could go wrong with either way. I’d go with Catalyst though :)

3. D1G1T4L thread starter macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Thanks for the input. My only reservation on the Catalyst is the mute knob. Think it’s an interesting design but afraid I will switch it by mistake. Any history with it changing during day to day use?

4. blaine07 macrumors 68000

I can’t say I’ve had that problem of it pocket switching but it is something that has been discussed as potentially being a issue. I wouldn’t worry much about it though if your half way careful.

5. jlczl macrumors 6502

EverythingApplePro did an extreme drop test that the UAG passed with flying colors and the Catalyst failed.

6. blaine07 macrumors 68000

That 50ft drop is just ludicrous. Too many variables anymore. I get the idea of it just don’t really put much stock into that test personally.

7. mikemj23 macrumors 6502

I have the Catalyst and haven't once switched the mute knob by mistake. For lack of a better term, there is a degree of tension when twisting it. Doesn't move in and out of pocket.

8. ZipZap macrumors 603

Got the UAG Monarch in Crimson. Super light case which is surprising. Like it. Found in eBay for $25.

9. blaine07 macrumors 68000

Killer deal. Is it legit? Is it a reseller or a one off they didn’t like it?

10. ZipZap macrumors 603

11. jlczl, Feb 9, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2018

jlczl macrumors 6502

Well I took a chance and ordered it. I’ve had the Crimson before but returned it because I didn’t think it was worth $60 but at this price it was too good a deal to pass up. It seems legit.

EDIT: Unfortunately it looks like the seller has raised the price by $20.

Here’s a pic:[​IMG]

12. f6is6l macrumors newbie

I could be wrong, but the case in the photo looks fake to me.

I have bought several Monarchs for the iPhone X. For a start the 'iPhone X' should be printed on the box instead of being a sticker. The screws do not look right and the PC shear plate seems have moulding defects.

The case that you have bought looks like the fakes on Aliexpress.

13. jlczl, Feb 9, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2018

jlczl macrumors 6502

I’m looking for mounding defects and can’t see them. Also don’t see anything wrong with the screws. If it’s fake I actually like it better than the real one ($) but maybe I’ll go compare it to one at Best Buy and see if I can spot issues. I’m no stranger to these cases as I did a review of one along with other high protection cases but returned it (btw, all initial UAG Monarch cases had a sticker on them because they were incorrectly labeled as iPhone 8, the newer packaging corrected that):

14. D1G1T4L thread starter macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

How can you spot a fake? Ordered one on eBay that is boxed the same with a sticker. Quality seems good and every picture I look at online matches the case I received. Even the placement of the honeycomb on the side. Imagine a fake would have something off.

15. ZipZap macrumors 603

Seems like the Crimson I have looks legit. Same seller.

16. f6is6l macrumors newbie

The best way would be to compare with a genuine one at a store. The fakes on Aliexpress are selling for £12, compared to a retail price £45 in the UK.

Based on photos I have seen on Aliexpress, I believe the torx indent in the screw is larger and terminates in sharp points on the fakes. The leather seems to not look as nice. And there is slight visible flashing on the shear plate.

They are appear to be decent cases and are great value though. The genuine cases have their own issues with saggy bottom lips, and are very overpriced.

17. D1G1T4L thread starter macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

18. D1G1T4L thread starter macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Looking at the case I got, I do think it might be fake. The “leather” part is really hard and don’t think it is leather at all. Unless someone can tell me that is how the leather is on one they know is real, I’m thinking this one is fake.

19. jlczl macrumors 6502

Ok guys just came back from Best Buy. I am preparing a video on this because I’m pretty sure these cases we got are fakes once I saw them side by side with the ones at the store. That being said, the fake one has a better build imo as it doesn’t have a saggy bottom like the real one and has more of a matte look to it except for the shiny UAG logo whereas the legit one is shiny in the leather inserts but less so on the logo. Hopefully I’ll get the video up tonight but I’ll let you all know as soon as I do. For $25 shipped I prefer the fake but would be upset if I paid the $45 the seller is trying to get now.

20. jlczl macrumors 6502

21. D1G1T4L, Feb 10, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2018

D1G1T4L thread starter macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Being a fake case it seems built really well and have no issue with it. The only thing I’m worried about is the drop protection as it is the reason I purchased it. Will it hold up as well as the original is my question.

Update: Decided to return my case to the eBay seller. Will check out one in person at Best Buy.

22. gahig ulo macrumors 6502a

gahig ulo

So the fake uag X case is real.im might have bought fake one its $25 shipped im not sure yet but its coming next week

23. jlczl macrumors 6502

Yup it’s likely fake if you paid $25 like I did. That being said I would buy the fake over the authentic one even if an authentic one was also $25 because the build quality is actually better.

24. gahig ulo macrumors 6502a

gahig ulo

good to hear i hope its the same quality as your ;)