Uag ... R.i.p.

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Dascoyne, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Dascoyne macrumors 6502

Two months ago I was excited about my UAG case. Looks cool. Not bulky. Understated. Good pairing with my Spigen Glas-Tr Slim protector ...

Now two months later there's a crack on one edge. I don't think it's ever been dropped from a higher than 3 feet onto wood flooring. It's been subject to no more stress than being in my pocket (my waist is 30 inches ... body mass index is under 25).

On inspection it's apparent that the case failed on an edge where two dissimilar materials were mated. While it might be more convenient from the standpoint of construction ease and cost efficacy, it's a design flaw IMO that puts the most vulnerable part in a region of stress.

How ironic the UAG has that tough look... but probably the weakest case I've owned.

I think I might just go back to Magpul.

2. Delorean2006 macrumors 6502a

the one i had only lasted 3 weeks and i was able to return it to amazon, honestly i dont care what anybody says but from my personal experience the best case i have ever used is the incase slider, it might be ugly, it might be dull, but idc it does the job and can take a huge beating and still protect the crap out of my phone

3. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

UAG has great customer service. They send a replacement and if you send a picture of the problem they let you keep both. I have done that before. Yes the case is hard and breaks easily if not taken but is my favorite case after the otter commutter IMO

4. Dascoyne, Aug 8, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2013

Dascoyne thread starter macrumors 6502

I have dealt with their CS before and I'll definitely agree with you. At first I had a defective model that sometimes put constant pressure on the power button. It took a while to figure out why my phone was often acting weird. UAG sent me a new unit as well as a return shipping box for the old one (so they can study the defective unit no doubt)

But thanks for reminding me about their service. I still think the case looks great so I don't want to slam their product. If I returned this unit I wouldn't be surprised if they gave me a new one again, but I admit it's also a nice opportunity and excuse to get a new and different case.

BTW. The constant actuation actually caused some permanent damage to my phone. The button started to fail until it didn't work at all. Fortunately the Apple Store in Palo Alto is walking distance from my place and I got a free replacement iphone, too.