UB MacBook Pro lags with 2gb RAM--anyone else?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by j5045096, Mar 24, 2009.

1. j5045096 Guest

Hey guys - I have a 2.4ghz UMBP with 2gb of Ram and 250gb hard drive - all stock obviously. Ive noticed that it's multitasking abilities don't seem to be all that great with only 2gb of RAM--for example I'm on Safari, importing a CD on iTues and I had the mail app opening (no attachments downloading or anything) all on 7mbps DSL and iTunes froze for a few seconds while trying to access the CD database. But this has happened with other programs -- Office 04 especially--just seems like the thing needs more memory which is weird because my plastic MacBook used to do fine with pretty much the same tasks and only 2gb of supposedly slower RAM.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

2. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I don't notice any lags and I have the same set-up.

Of course once I toss in Parallels/Flash CS3 chewing on a 60MB flash file with Parallels/AI and Parallels/PSD open I get a bit of a lag when toggling with a Leopard-only space. :D

3. scuzy macrumors member

did you closethis hard drive from the old macbook? Maybe a fresh instlal will fix your problem.

4. j5045096 thread starter Guest

No, actually the first thing I did when I took it home from the Apple store was reinstalled OSX and removed all the other languages, printer drivers and the iLife stuff I didn't want installed (iWeb etc.) and I have still like 214 gb free space on it. I don't know what the problem is - it's not a big issue; just noticeable quirk I guess. I'm waiting for a SSD drive to come down in price...

5. drew0020 macrumors 68000

drew0020

try a 7200rpm harddrive if you don't want to spend the premium on a SSD. Honestly though if you can afford a MacBook Pro I would get a SSD immediately.

6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Delete the Caches folder from the user Library folder. Sometimes that helps, though don't know how much in your case since you're running a clean erase and install.

7. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

mine was a bit jittery too when I brought it home.

I put a 3k720 in it, as well as a reinstall, and it didnt help.

I had plenty of free ram with the 2GB. I decided to upgrade the ram one day to 4GB, and the problem went away.