UB MB battery stuck

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by VladM, Apr 28, 2010.

1. VladM macrumors regular

I have a UB MB, which I upgraded to a 4GB RAM, and a 500GB HDD. i personally opened the machine to stick in the new RAM and the HDD. When I did that, the battery popped out with little effort by tugging on the little plastic tab.

The other day I wanted to remove the battery again, but it seems to be totally stuck. I ripped the plastic tab out tugging at it, and even using a small screwdriver for leverage doesn't budge it.

What happened, how did it get stuck? What can I do to take it out? It is still fine now but at some point I'll have to change it.

Any idea how to take it out?

2. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

Um,the first time you removed it did you remove the screws holding it down?And how did you get the little Y security screws out?(I personally used a flat head,piece of cake,don't tell Apple. ;) )
    Also if you mean removing it to do like ram upgrades or not just unplug the little black tab that goes to the motherboard and it's good to go.

3. VladM thread starter macrumors regular

Ummm I don't remember there being any screws... This is the first gen unibody MB, the one with the battery compartment and a user removable battery.

4. netsped macrumors 6502

The (hatch) must be up. The lock mechanism actually holds the battery in place so you need to push and lift the (hatch) :eek:

PS. Couldn't find the word I meant to use, so I used hatch :D but I hope you get what I meant. It's the thing Ive got inspired by his Jaguar :confused:

5. VladM thread starter macrumors regular

The latch! You're a genius mate! It worked, thanks muchly! ;)

6. Xenophon macrumors regular

There are no screws in the 1st gen unibody, I have the same type of machine. You should be able to lift out the battery by pulling the tab. Takes almost no effort and it comes right out and simply falls into place when re-inserted.

I assume you released the cover over the battery/HDD compartment by pushing the metal latch on the back down, right?? Any other way would break stuff.

If that's what you did the only reason I can think of how it got stuck is by some catastrophic warping or so. In that case I'd simply get it to apple and show them the problem but be prepared to pay up. I found out the hard way that they're perfect jerks for anything remotely connected to battery trouble.

7. Xenophon macrumors regular

:eek: Oh man, tell me it ain't so..... :rolleyes:

If you're ever selling, remind me that I shouldn't be buying ;)

8. netsped macrumors 6502

Yep! That was the word I was thinking :D

Good to know you figured it out, you are welcome.