Uber Begins Testing Color-Coded Rider Pickup System 'SPOT' in Seattle

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 3, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Uber yesterday announced SPOT, a new initiative to make sure drivers and riders experience less hassle finding one another in dark or crowded areas. The technology will allow someone calling for an Uber to designate a specific color so that their driver can easily spot them when arriving at the pickup location.

[​IMG]
    Beginning exclusively in Seattle, the new program will give Uber drivers a small "SPOT Device," attached to their windshield. When a user requests a SPOT-enabled vehicle, they're asked to pick a specific color within the app while waiting. When the app prompts the rider that the vehicle is driving up, they can take the app out and display their color to the driver, or simply look for their chosen color in the windshield of the car.

The company didn't give any mention if, or when, SPOT would make it to other cities after its test run in Seattle. Those that have yet to do so can download Uber from the App Store for free [Direct Link].

Article Link: Uber Begins Testing Color-Coded Rider Pickup System 'SPOT' in Seattle

2. jmh600cbr macrumors 6502a

jmh600cbr

This is essential in places like SF where ever car is an uber and every uber is a white or silver Prius. I've personally stepped in the wrong uber a bunch of times

3. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

4. ZacNicholson macrumors 6502a

ZacNicholson

Pretty cool. Last year a girl got in a car she thought was her uber here at Indiana university. She ended up dead and her body was thrown by the lake. This could have prevented that. Good to see uber taking safety precautions

5. Zelmung macrumors member

Zelmung

That escalated quickly.

6. snebes macrumors 6502a

[​IMG]

South Park, always ahead of the times.

7. mbh1976 macrumors regular

This is cool, but how about the app just telling me what color the car is that is picking me up?

8. Erkalanger macrumors newbie

E
    Exactly, or a combination of colours, I mean, if you see a "green" cab coming up, why not just press the green button on your phone and it's "yours"?

9. unplugme71 macrumors 68030

Still not interested in Uber. Too much to worry about for too little savings. My life, safety, and security is worth more than saving 2 to 3 bucks for a ride to the airport.

At least if something happens, I can go after the cab company.

10. Hoosier12 macrumors newbie

Hoosier12

11. Hoosier12 macrumors newbie

Hoosier12

That wasn't actually what happened. Re-read all the articles. NOWHERE was UBER involved in her disappearance.

12. LordQ Suspended

LordQ

Guess you've never experienced the terrible taxi service in Mexico. Uber is a blessing here—at least they return your forgotten belongings.

13. BrentD macrumors 6502

Yeah, this will make it way easier--with only 6 colors--for nefarious people to stick a similar light in their car and just put up one of the 6 colors. Go cruise down a popular bar area in a major city and just wait for a drunk chick to flag their car down.

14. Gasu E. macrumors 601

Gasu E.

Congratulations! If this actually happens, you can take full credit for coming up with the idea first!

15. AbSoluTc macrumors 601

AbSoluTc

Yeah because every cab company tells you the license plate of the car, type/color or the car picking you up, the drivers name and picture as well. Not to mention that every driver has had a background check.

Yup, cabs are WAAAY safer. :rolleyes:

I drover for Uber for a year. It was fun and never had an issue. I have taken about 120 Ubers as well. Never had an issue. I have had many issues with cabs though. Late, don't speak english, no change for my $20, taking long routes, going soooooooo sloooooow. Etc.

If you're worried about safety, you probably shouldn't take either.

Uber is much safer than a cab. Cheaper too in most areas. Although when I am in NYC, taxis are cheaper and quicker.

16. Flipstar macrumors member

I'm sure licensed cab drivers will love this because they'll know who to harass for being an Uber driver.

17. york2600 macrumors regular

york2600

This is going to be pretty handy. 1/2 the cars in Portland are a Prius so it's pretty hard to figure out which one is the Uber sometimes.

18. Amadeo macrumors member

It happens to me here in New York ALL THE TIME. I once left my apartment and got into the wrong Uber twice, before getting into the right one.

19. mbh1976 macrumors regular

Really? Everything that happens in an uber is traceable and drivers are rated, that is not the case in a taxi. Also, ubers are held to certain standards (newer cars, drivers must maintain high scores), which taxis are not. Lastly, I have never hailed an uber and had it not pick me up- I have sat on hold with a cab company for 20 minutes only to have it not show up.

20. OldSchoolMacGuy Suspended

OldSchoolMacGuy

Uber isn't required to carry additional insurance and most insurance companies will NOT cover passengers if they're using their vehicle to do business. Cab companies are required to carry a minimum of a $1 million policy which will cover you.

Cab companies also do much deeper searches into the background and driving history of their drivers. They're also generally much more knowledgeable of the area and how to get around. Taxi drivers have to be able to get around without a map. Uber drivers aren't and are often distracted by their little GPS which can lead to more close calls and accidents.

I use Uber frequently but there are legitimate reasons to be cautious. If you're hurt while riding with them, I hope you have good insurance because you won't likely be covered as you would traveling in a traditional taxi. Really something to be aware of.

21. shareef777 Suspended

shareef777

No, nothing is traceable in an Uber other then where you were picked up and where you were dropped off. And Uber's only standard is a car that's 10 years or newer and that you haven't murdered/raped anyone. Literally, felons have been approved on Uber with no biometric or drug tests completed.

22. mw360 macrumors 68000

mw360

Where I live they all say Uber on both sides of the car. Doesn't seem to be a problem.

You could do all this right now without the light, but few people do. I can't see the necessity for an attention grabbing light and turning away 5 out of 6 potential victims making it any easier. And of course it's so easy to spot a fake Uber you risk going straight to jail on your first outing.

23. unplugme71 macrumors 68030

Sorry, I haven't had the pleasure to experience it. However, I have traveled to other countries - Germany, Poland, Portugal as well as many cities in the US and never experienced a taxi service problem relating to fearing for my life.

24. unplugme71 macrumors 68030

You are completely missing the point. The risk associated with Uber is higher than that of a cab company, especially a NYC, Boston, LA, or whatever major city you live near.

When I walk into a NYC cab, I know it is operated by a taxi company. I also have a photo ID of the driver posted in the cab that I can reference/complain/whatever if needed. There's also a company that STANDS behind their vehicle and driver for any litigation, if it comes down to it.

Uber simply wipes there hands clean if a driver does anything stupid.

And you even admitted it to, NYC cabs are easier to come by and cheaper than Uber. So why add more risk for less reward?