Uber Eats Gains Apple Pay Support

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 17, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple Pay is now available as a payment option in the Uber Eats food delivery app for the first time, allowing users who make food orders to pay with a credit or debit card stored in the Wallet app.

The addition of Apple Pay will make food ordering through Uber Eats a more streamlined process as payments will be able to be approved with Face ID or Touch ID instead of through full billing information.

[​IMG]

As TechCrunch points out, the main Uber app has had Apple Pay as a payment option since 2014, but it was never made available in Uber Eats until now. Uber Eats already supports other third-party payment options like Venmo and PayPal.

Apple Pay support is coming to Uber Eats over the course of the next few weeks in the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, Belgium, France, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Japan, New Zealand, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Netherlands, and the United Arab Emirates.

Article Link: Uber Eats Gains Apple Pay Support

2. Mike MA macrumors 68000

Mike MA

Call me ignorant but I didn’t even know Uber Eats existed...but obviously it isn’t US only.

3. larrylaffer macrumors 6502a

larrylaffer

It's basically the same as calling your favorite restaurant and ordering delivery, except you pay way more and the driver is mistreated by their employer.

4. rmoliv macrumors 6502a

5. -Ray- macrumors regular

-Ray-

Uber eats is horrible. The app / website are incredibly buggy. I dread when ordering from it.

6. timber macrumors 6502

In Europe having delivery is not quite common. In fact excluding pizza chains almost nobody delivers. A lot don't even do take out.
    So Uber Eats has an interesting proposition.

7. iPhysicist macrumors 65816

iPhysicist

uber eats Apple Pay - uber ate Apple Pay - uber has eaten Apple Pay - when did this happen?

8. prasand macrumors 6502

prasand

I imagine, this is in preparation for / to accommodate the many Apple Card users that would demand an Apple Pay option.

9. adamjackson macrumors 68000

We finally have Uber here in New Hampshire...just one driver that I know of but maybe this is something I could start using mostly because there's not a single restaurant that delivers to my house. We finally got a Dominos and they won't deliver to me so maybe this will help..I usually only want take-out when we've been drinking. I don't ever drink and drive so I'm either throwing together a PB&J or driving drunk to get a pizza which I won't do so this might be nice.

10. MisterSavage macrumors 6502a

MisterSavage

Always nice to Apple Pay added to any app. It's so annoying when food apps ask for credit card information when a wonderful, secure payment system is built into the freaking OS.

11. miniyou64 macrumors 6502a

miniyou64

Mistreated? Its a voluntary contract position. No one has to take the job. And UberEats is a great service.

12. martyjmclean macrumors 6502

martyjmclean

This is good! My Uber(Eats) has two Visa debit cards with similar numbers and I'm always getting them mixed up.

13. fairuz macrumors 68000

fairuz

I thought Apple Pay was useless until I found out apps can use it. Saves a lot of hassle at the very least. Nice.

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

In the US, my experience with UberEats is pretty crap along with those other companies like DoorDash, etc. Seems most of the time the food is cold or a few times my food was clearly "tampered with." Fortunately I drive at home or rent a car on trip so I can go pick up anything I need.

I have used UberEats quite extensively in Japan where people ride around making deliveries on bicycles, don't eat your food, and use insulated boxes. And I'm pretty sure ApplePay was already supported for a while now.

15. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

Exactly. This is where Pay is critically useful, so you don’t have to give your CC info to a site for it to be hacked later.

16. Jimmy James macrumors 601

Jimmy James

Isn’t Apple Pay support a bit of a misnomer? Isn’t it just tap to pay support?

17. apoltix macrumors newbie

It's a food delivery app, not a physical merchant. So no, it is Apple Pay support.

18. Jimmy James macrumors 601

Jimmy James

Gotcha. Thanks.

19. DeepIn2U macrumors 603

DeepIn2U

Never experienced any issues; except when a store stopped accepting orders 15mins before closing and I was updated and immediately updated as no funds withdrawn.

UberEats+ApplePay ... about damn time!

20. George Dawes macrumors 6502a

George Dawes

Deliveroo has been doing this for ages and unlike uber eats you can ore pay a whole month fee of £7.99 and get free delivery

Uber eats chrges £3.50 extra for each delivery

21. Shanghaichica macrumors G4

Shanghaichica

I Don’t use it much now but when I was pregnant it was recommended to me by one of my pregnant colleagues. I made a lot of orders back then:p