Uber Enters Race to Perfect Driverless Vehicle Technology

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 20, 2016.

1. jlc1978 macrumors 68020

jlc1978

I am curious how they will route the cars. My experience with various navigation programs is they sometimes take very odd routes or go through unsafe areas because their algorithm says it is the quickest. How's at fault when a map error cause an accident or other problem such a stunning onto an active runway?

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-24246646

2. gnipgnop macrumors 65816

It's fairly obvious that at some point the driverless car companies will be asking the government to make changes to the existing roadways to make it easier for driverless cars to operate. Taxpayers will be financing part of their business model at some point GUARANTEED.

3. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

This was an awesome post and exactly what I was thinking. I'm all for progress but I'm not for turning the world into 100% robots.

4. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Instead of 1.3 million people dying each year in car accidents caused 94% of the time by human error, you'll have 1.3 million people dying each year in car accidents caused 94% of the time by the autonomous driving that was programmed by people. You can't take the people out of the equation.

5. jlc1978 macrumors 68020

jlc1978

It also opens up new failure modes as well. It is already possible to hack into today's vehicles' control systems; I can't see autonomous vehicles being any more secure. Someday some one will decide to send a bunch to the same location, if only for laughs or just to make it wander aimlessly.

6. Dr.Chroma Suspended

Dr.Chroma

I think an autonomous Uber is great for the Customer. It would at least rid of some of the scary and smelly drivers I have been in the car with.

7. unplugme71 macrumors 68030

As if the drivers didn't already make any money, now they'll pay you half and expect you to sit in the car to make sure you can override if safety becomes an issue.

Here's 0.01 a mile pal. That's before taxes too!

8. pcote macrumors newbie

In the end, I don't think this will matter as any self-driving car will eventually just become a shuttle to go from point A to B. Google's Car don't even have a driving wheel...

And I guess Apple's Car will be some kind of living room on 4 wheels... with a table in the middle to place your belongings and your drink. At that point, nobody will ever care how the car is handled. You also won't care about the remaining real *sshole drivers on the road since you'll be too busy reading your favorite book... or working on your next project. :)

9. xbjllb macrumors 65816

xbjllb

10. cfedu Suspended

cfedu

Really? You think after making a driverless car they could not think of a way to charge or fuel a car without humans?

11. retep42 macrumors member

Sharing economy my a$$.
    They sure won't be sharing their profits!

12. SeaFox macrumors 68030

SeaFox

Wow, is someone running a vacuum cleaner here?
    It's not a surprise because it's just another case of a company trying to reduce their employee headcount to save money. The fact it's "in a car" or "through an app" doesn't make Uber a golden prodigy of corporate innovation. [biggest eyeroll ever here]

Kinda poor choice of words on the title on this article. Let's be careful on 3000 pounds of steel propelling itself around on the trust it will do it right. Rushing to be first is one of the biggest reasons companies cut corners on safety. Driverless cars will happen, yes. But this is one thing that does not need to be a "race".

13. Gasu E. macrumors 601

Gasu E.

The same way most people deal with flat tires... AAA.
    --- Post Merged, May 20, 2016 ---

$2 extra service charge for a real delivery person. Problem solved.
    --- Post Merged, May 20, 2016 ---
    Number of people who have driven for Uber: 162,000
    Number of people who planned to work for Uber for life: 0

14. KazKam macrumors 6502

KazKam

Maybe mainstream driverless vehicles are coming that soon, and maybe they aren't. Either way, the road to self-driving vehicles, especially during any transitional/mixed period, is fraught with problems we haven't even begun to fathom yet. So I guess I'm saying my money is on self-driving vehicles NOT being mainstream anytime remotely soon.

However, I do think we'll soon see many "assisted-driving" and "safety" features as a result of all this research and investigation.

15. amirite macrumors 6502a

Which large company isn't?

16. jonathan.owens macrumors newbie

That's a ridiculous statement. You're blending two distinct parts of driving: knowing the rules and safety precautions and actually following them. Humans know the former well, which are algorithmic and can be coded; it's the latter that we suffer with. Computers won't have to deal with distractions. Additionally, the driverless cars will be able to communicate with each other, allowing the cars to have a much more complete picture of the road and possible hazards than people do.

I'm not claiming that there won't be any more deaths once we have driverless cars, but if programmed properly, it will be a lower number.

17. Founts macrumors newbie

Will uber be able to handle this usage scenario? (Johnny Cab didn't do so well)

Makes me wonder about manual override scenarios...

18. makr macrumors regular

Sorry I didn't mean like that. Car drives itself to a petrol station, or a uber fill up station and a staff would fuel up. I did not mean automatic fuel top-up. Sorry :)

19. Tycho24 Suspended

Tycho24

Lol, wut????!
    I'm not sure you understand the article.

We are talking about DRIVERLESS cars.
    You think Uber, is going to create software for driverless cars, have other people purchase & own these driverless cars, then they'll pay those people to use them???
    I am seriously SO confused about what you're even envisioning....

20. jlc1978 macrumors 68020

jlc1978

It's sort of like the FedEX Home Delivery model. You franchise out the name and the franchisee pays for the equipment, maintenance, etc. while you provide the product to them. In FedEX' case it's packages to deliver, in Uber's it's people (and packages I guess if they wanted). Uber would provide the back office and riders which means the would not need nearly as much capital as they would if they owned everything. Plus they have no money at risk if the service fails to generate enough revenue to cover the capital and operational costs.
    In Uber's case, if they develop and build the cars they can make money selling or leasing them to their franchises, if they go that route, or to independent contractors.

21. mw360 macrumors 68000

mw360

Yes, that's exactly what I think. Because it's exactly the same as their current, wildly successful business model, except the contractor gets a car instead of an iPhone.

Meanwhile you think they're going to build massive amount of physical infrastructure and engage hundreds or thousands of full-time employees to store, clean, and service all these cars in frantic overnight shifts in every city in which they operate?

Get a grip. Or better still get a dictionary and look up 'franchising'.

22. Mactendo macrumors 68000

Some will say that :)

23. SeaFox macrumors 68030

SeaFox

Yes. Because that's how they insulate themselves from liability in their business model.

Their app and servers allow people to call drivers to pick them up, while the car's owner pays for the vehicle, and it's mechanical upkeep, cleaning, fuel expenses, and If anything goes wrong, they just say "Well, it's not our car." And you're left to make claims against the car owner's personal insurance.

...But then you find out their insurance company has a clause stating that their (consumer vehicle) policy is not in effect when the car's owner is engaged in "a paid 'ride sharing' or 'ride hailing' service" (i.e. Uber). And now you're SOL because the car was not really insured.

24. flyinmac macrumors 68040

flyinmac

Sure why not. I need a flight to Arizona. Oh hey there's a plane sitting over there, I'll jump in. The guy says he knows how to fly this thing.

Hey, this isn't Arizona.... And why are we heading straight for..... Oh $&@"& hold on....