Uber Expands Color-Coded 'Beacons' to Four More Cities to Help Riders Find Their Drivers

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 15, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

One year after testing color-coded rider pickups in Seattle through a system called "SPOT," Uber today announced that the initiative is now called "Uber Beacon," and beginning December 16 it will expand to Miami, Denver, Nashville, and Newcastle in the United Kingdom. Uber Beacon is a piece of hardware that attaches to a driver's windshield and "uses color-pairing technology" to match up drivers with their riders.

[​IMG]

In the Uber app, riders will be able to select from an endless amount of color options when calling for a ride. As their driver gets to the pickup destination, the Uber Beacon in the windshield will match the color the rider picked, making it easy to find a ride at night and at crowded venues. The new hardware has also been designed to match Uber's rider app logo.

On the rider side of things, users can hold up their smartphone to display their unique color and make it quicker for the driver to find and pick them up.

[​IMG]

Uber said the Beacon itself can be installed easily, removed in seconds, and lasts for "several evenings without charge."
    Uber drivers in Miami, Denver, Nashville, and Newcastle will begin receiving Uber Beacons at community events in preparation for New Year's Eve celebrations within each city. Riders wanting the helpful system to make it to their city have some hope, with the company noting: "Our goal is to make Beacons the new standard for the Uber experience, so in 2017 we'll be expanding Uber Beacon to more cities across the world."

Article Link: Uber Expands Color-Coded 'Beacons' to Four More Cities to Help Riders Find Their Drivers

2. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

Maybe its just me, but I've never had a problem identifying my Uber. I think its great that they are making it easier to do so from a distance, but is this really a problem that needs to be solved?

3. verniesgarden macrumors 65816

verniesgarden

I think it's helpful in high rideshare volume locations like airports

4. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

When you're in a nightlife district with 8,000 in a row, something like this makes it much easier to figure out which one is yours.

Or even after work or school.

This would have been helpful last New Year's Eve.

5. mook101 macrumors newbie

It can be pretty difficult at 2am when bars are closing on a weekend as well!!!

6. Dekema2 macrumors 6502a

Dekema2

I've never had that problem because my city doesn't have it (any they are fighting to come here).

7. ReneR macrumors 6502

8. Amacfa macrumors 68000

Amacfa

Great for big cities when you have 3 different black Honda Accords with Uber logos. This actually happens a lot. Usually have to resort to reading the license plate.

9. Applebot1 macrumors 6502a

Beats talking about watch straps lol

10. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Apple being invested in similar types of companies and thus in that line of business and technology?

11. Liiv macrumors member

Liiv

Oh for heavens sake give us back the location option "While Using The App".

12. SBlue1 macrumors 65816

SBlue1

Why do your bars close at 2am?

13. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Different cities/states/regions/counties can have different rules and regulations when it comes to different things like alcohol/bars.

14. cube macrumors Pentium

PRSI spill.

15. tremlock, Dec 15, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2016

tremlock macrumors 6502a

tremlock

this will make pick up at concerts/sporting events much easier

16. blacktape242 macrumors 65832

blacktape242

nice idea. I love using Uber when I travel or drink too much.

17. saudade, Dec 15, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2016

saudade macrumors 6502

saudade

Good luck to find ur uber at the airport dude. Anyway i only use uber black. I prefer their most expensive and exclusive server if u know what i mean. Ka ching

Uber drivers, dont try to u use that thing in puerto rico or even La France, taxi drivers will find u and eat your higado man
    --- Post Merged, Dec 15, 2016 ---

What!!? They close 2am? LOL
    Where do u live dud, disneyworld? A bar never closes man u can stay they forever if u want and drink mucho. What kind of place closes 2am?? Jeezzz

18. dukeblue219 macrumors regular

So... as someone who doesn't ever stay out past about 11pm since I had a kid, are there many cities that DO allow bars to stay open after 2am? Even in my college and slightly post-college days I remember that bars always closed at 2am or 3am at the latest (in DC I think).

19. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

There are likely some cities/states/regions/countries that can have them open 24/7. Things like that are different throughout the world, and even within different countries. It's interesting that people find something like that surprising one way or another.

20. jtara macrumors 68000

It's easy to find your Uber driver - he's the one snarling traffic, parked where nobody (not even commercial plates) is supposed to park, using their phone while driving, running over pedestrians.

It's also easy to find NOT your Uber driver. He's the one endlessly driving around in supermarket/strip mall/shopping center parking lots, snarling up traffic and running over pedestrians, because they have not found a place to park and are trolling for a call.

I am just astounded at the discourtesy of many Uber drivers. I find that Lyft is better. And cab drivers are superb. Yes, I said that - 5 years ago I would have never thought I would be saying that!

Step out into the street and cab drivers STOP. They actually stay behind the white line at a corner and don't creep. And if they do do something wrong, you can call the cab company which is easily identified on the side of the cab, and likely report the large number on the cab. And they will cooperate.

As a pedistrian, TRY to report an Uber driver. You know, they one that just sped-away after they got caught and you tried to take a photo. Uber (if you can figure out how to reach them) will tell you you should call the police and otherwise stonewall you. Of course. They know that the prosecutor does not have the time or resources to follow-up. And even if they do, Uber will likely make them run through every hoop imaginable.

21. thisisnotmyname macrumors 68000

thisisnotmyname

Funny, my experience is almost exactly the opposite.

Spend some time in Manhattan and tell me again about how courteous and pleasant old school taxi drivers are.

22. SBlue1 macrumors 65816

SBlue1

I know it is the rule over there, the question is why is that so strict? At 2am we leave the first club or bar and head to the next. :) Anyway, its off topic.

23. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Please this. In fact Apple should require every app offer this because I don't like watching my battery drain.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 15, 2016 ---
    Las Vegas. 24 hours!

24. jtara macrumors 68000

Manhattan is a special case. Cab drivers in Manhattan consider every dent to be a badge of honor.