Uber/Lyft/etc Question

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by A.Goldberg, Apr 27, 2016.

1. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Ok so here in Boston the three major car sharing services are Uber, Lyft, and Fasten. Over at least past couple months I've had driver's vehicles on all three apps listed as things they are not- in the sense they claim to be hybrid or electric when in fact they are the standard gas/petrol model.

For example, the App says the driver had a Camry Hybrid, when in fact they have a normal Camry. Or a RAV4 EV (electric vehicle) when it is not electric at all. Or a Lexus RX Hybrid when it's an RX350.

My question is does why is this happening? Do drivers have an monetary incentive to claim they have a hybrid and the corporation is not verifying the vin#? Are these companies trying to inflate their environmental standanding by overstating the number of hybrids in their fleet?

This doesn't seem like a huge deal, but I feel like there is something shady about it, esp considering Lyft and Ubers past business tactics. I haven't bothered to ask the drivers, which would be the easiest answer perhaps. Any thoughts?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Perhaps they think people will pick them over others if they appear to be driving a hybrid and not using that evil fossil fuel known as gasoline - just a guess.

3. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

But you don't get to pick. You get assigned a car by the app.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Ahh, then I have no idea - it was just a thought.

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

Perhaps simply a mixup in the database, either some sort of incorrect mapping of vehicle that is happening automatically or the driver choosing an incorrect model when they are setting things up, perhaps because it's the first one listed and they are just not paying much attention and trying to get through the process quickly or because they see the option and perhaps even assume that's what they have not even knowing/caring any better?

6. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

My question is why does this matter? Aren't you just trying to get from Point A to Point B?

7. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

It's pretty shady.

I live in the same area as OP and have noticed this many times. Camry Hybrids are just regular models. Highlander Hybrids that just said base model XLEs. Same with Avalons, Accords, Altimas, etc

8. A.Goldberg thread starter macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Yes, but Uber and Lyft have a lengthy history of poor/questionable business ethics, down to essentially false advertising- saving there's cars in your area where there are not just to make you pick their service.

How does this affect me or you? It might not. But let's say they get a tax incentive from the government for using fuel efficient vehicles. Or intentionally overestimating their efficiency to tout at somepoint to the public, govt, or investors.

I've thought about that too. It happens with so many cars though to seem like just a user registration error or an unnoticed software flaw. Maybe I'm just overthinking it, but I feel like it wouldn't even be an option unless they wanted to use that data somewhere down the line. It's not like they differentiate between a 6 or 4cyl Camry or an E350 or 500.

9. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

That's like the ultimate Uber Campaign slogan

"Uber: It's pretty shady"

10. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Had a fasten driver today....

[​IMG]

that was not a hybrid Highlander