Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Uber is adding CarPlay support to its Driver app, allowing the iPhone app to be accessed from a vehicle's dashboard display, according to TechCrunch. The report says CarPlay integration should be available to all Uber drivers in the U.S. by the end of the month.

Uber-Driver-App-CarPlay.jpeg
Image Credit: Uber via TechCrunch

As on the iPhone, the CarPlay version of the app allows Uber drivers to view a map with surge pricing areas, navigate with turn-by-turn directions, view and accept trips, add rides to their queue, view if their status is set to online or offline, and more.

Uber competitor Lyft also offers CarPlay support for its Driver app.

Article Link: Uber Rolling Out CarPlay Support for Driver App

Reactions: Justin Cymbal

Truckondo

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2009
Pretty sad it took this long to implement. Hopefully the Uber drivers will be aware that it’s an option otherwise we will still be seeing mounts on the vehicles.

Reactions: NoGood@Usernames

Kar98

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2007
Finally! These poor Uber drivers have CarPlay but still needed to mount their phones anyway.

I would say "I wonder why this too so long", but Uber is very bad at app development.

I did do UberEats for a while and damn is the app bad.

Reactions: compwiz1202

AppleTO

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2018
Toronto, Canada
Pretty sad it took this long to implement. Hopefully the Uber drivers will be aware that it’s an option otherwise we will still be seeing mounts on the vehicles.
Only certain types of apps are allowed on CarPlay and the UI layout is very strict. Devs have to apply and be approved. Apple has only recently added support for more types of apps, so this might be why.

Reactions: Brandon42

InuNacho

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2008
In that one place
Since a large majority of Uber X drivers are driving around in cars 5 years old and all the Uber Eats drivers I've had are never the actual person listed on the app, I think they need to rethink their development time.

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
It took Uber a really long time to add dark mode to both the Uber app and the Uber Eats app

Uber finally added dark mode to the Uber app recently but not the Uber Eats app so I’m hoping that Uber adds dark mode to the Uber Eats app soon
I’m playing a drinking game where I have to drink every time you say Uber, and I’m sodding drunk now.

JoshNori

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2022
Just imagine being a software developer there and not having this for years (yet being able to develop the entire platform in about one year). WTF do these people do all day? And I say that AS a software developer!

Reactions: PauloSera

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
Just imagine being a software developer there and not having this for years (yet being able to develop the entire platform in about one year). WTF do these people do all day? And I say that AS a software developer!

Mostly just find ways to spend that VC money before their unsustainable business model comes crashing down.

Reactions: JoshNori

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Great, now Uber drivers will be worse at navigating!
Yea the point of display is moot if their apps don't give the right dirs. In our old apt, DD would constantly give the excuse that GPS was wrong. Then just us a real one. All three AM GM and Waze went to the exact spot of out apartment. And they obviously didn't read instruction because some would get there fine without going all over the map.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
I often say this about Door Dash. I have absolutely no idea how they stay in business. And that's despite the fact that there is demand for it.

I heard about Uber years ago that basically rich people in Silicon Valley are subsidising every ride. The economics of it just don't work on its own. There's a reason cabs are expensive. Even with all the corners they cut early on (like advising drivers to lie to their insurance company about using their vehicle for commercial purposes) rides just aren't that cheap.

Door Dash makes slightly more sense because it's expensive as hell. Every menu item costs 50%+ more than regular menu price, plus delivery fees etc. But still, hard to see how anyone except those at the very top are making any money at it, if even then.

They both probably get by with the same scam pizza places have pulled on delivery drivers for decades. The real cost is in wear and tear on the delivery car and driver, and the companies don’t really cover that cost. They just burn through teenagers to keep it going.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
I heard about Uber years ago that basically rich people in Silicon Valley are subsidising every ride. The economics of it just don't work on its own. There's a reason cabs are expensive. Even with all the corners they cut early on (like advising drivers to lie to their insurance company about using their vehicle for commercial purposes) rides just aren't that cheap.

Door Dash makes slightly more sense because it's expensive as hell. Every menu item costs 50%+ more than regular menu price, plus delivery fees etc. But still, hard to see how anyone except those at the very top are making any money at it, if even then.
Agree I can live with fees especially with crazy annual DashPass deals. But what annoys me is the restaurants passing so much of their cost on when they are benefitting from it too. We rarely even use them. DD has been gone for a while since Amazon gave a free annual GH+ sub, and we barely use that because of the insane base prices. Might as well go somewhere and use a deal on the restaurant's app. Especially with McD that let you go inside, and you just use the code from the app to get the deals there.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
I did do UberEats for a while and damn is the app bad.
When I first tried it, they had no range. And the places had stupid hours. Like CFA said like 6pm, even though it was the normal 9-10pm in other apps.

PauloSera

Suspended
Oct 12, 2022

They both probably get by with the same scam pizza places have pulled on delivery drivers for decades. The real cost is in wear and tear on the delivery car and driver, and the companies don’t really cover that cost. They just burn through teenagers to keep it going.
That's not really true though. Menu items have just increased in price in general. DD prices are not any higher. I can verify that easily for at least 5 places I buy from.

My point is that DD is making a tiny cut from the restaurant, and tiny fee from each purchase. And they even let you pay $10 a month to avoid fees entirely, which for anyone that orders more than twice, they're losing money on you. And despite the tips, they still have to pay the drivers. Plus the company's actual overheard. There is no way that there is any money left over at all after this.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
That's not really true though. Menu items have just increased in price in general. DD prices are not any higher. I can verify that easily for at least 5 places I buy from.

My point is that DD is making a tiny cut from the restaurant, and tiny fee from each purchase. And they even let you pay $10 a month to avoid fees entirely, which for anyone that orders more than twice, they're losing money on you. And despite the tips, they still have to pay the drivers. Plus the company's actual overheard. There is no way that there is any money left over at all after this.
I've already done through the restaurant with a delivery fee and DD with Dashpass, and it was still cheaper on the restaurant site so they sure do inflate the prices on DD and the others.

Reactions: CarAnalogy

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Not much use when they all use mounts for both of their phones

(one for Lyft, one for Uber -- simultaneously)

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021

My experience with the prices has been different but I still think your point is correct.

Killbynumbers

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2019
I often say this about Door Dash. I have absolutely no idea how they stay in business. And that's despite the fact that there is demand for it.
DoorDash stated in their letter to investors the day they went public was that the only thing keeping them from realizing a profit was the current dasher pay model. It's already a record low $2.50 per order and they still can't make it work? They can't lower driver pay anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.