Uber tough case

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by incubus1980, Jan 7, 2010.

1. incubus1980 macrumors newbie

Hi folks,

got a quick question - I'm looking for a very tough iphone case that covers the complete phone.

I have a zaggskin on the phone with invisishield on the front. When I go to work I need it to be a little tougher. I am a police officer and the phone will be in a pocket in my body armour. Its likely to take a bashing in there every other day.

I'm not fussed about it being chunky, looking good or having access to the buttons - just needs to be tough. I looked at the otterbox cases but the screen part looks soft. I've searched around for crystal shields but they all seem to protect the sides and back whilst leaving access to the buttons.

Anyone got any ideas to a solution for me.

Cheers,

John.

2. JosephBergdoll macrumors 6502

Incase Slider. I've dropped my phone off of many things, including a 6 foot fall from my lofted bed at school to the floor below onto the screen area... totally fine :)

3. Jophster macrumors member

If you already have a Zagg InvisibleSHIELD then you should definitely consider iBand from Tech|21. I am not sure how difficult it is to buy them in the US but you should definitely google them AND check out their amazing youtube video!
    Can't stress how cool this case is, and it still doesn't add too much bulk!
    N.B Make sure you get version 2 with cut outs for volume and power switches because the original were just raised bumps and very hard to use.

4. lemonademaker macrumors 6502a

lemonademaker

In a Van Down By The River! Metro Detroit!
    i'm in a pretty rough construction site environment (dirt, dust, shock, rain) and OB Defender for the win!! i've had mine for about 6 months in my Carhartt pocket and my phone looks BRAND NEW NOT A SCRATCH when I take it out of the case..... some people cut the built in screen protector out but I kept mine on because it keeps it 360degree sealed for water purposes (no you can't swim with it LOL) do a search in this forum you'll find some great threads on this case...... I put it in my pocket screen side in for the screen protection..... also the NO SLIP rubberized surface makes it feel solid in your hand even when wet....... you can get the case for $28-35 on amazon.....

with any usable case the screen is the weak point.... nothing much you can do about that unless you go with this case OB PDA Case or Pelican i1015 but these are good for a boat or something like that......

welcome to the forum!! GET THE OTTERBOX DEFENDER you won't regret it

EDIT: MR Otterbox Defender Thread
    thinking about it maybe you were thinking of the "flip open" kinds of cases with the flap that covers the screen (someone here will chime in) edit: Belkin Flap i'd still go with the OB defender with your job though, there is a few PO on here with this case...

5. dlbernau macrumors newbie

ditto on the otterbox

By far the best case available for your needs. It's a little bulky, but I always use mine when farming.

6. incubus1980 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

thanks for the suggestions. I do like the look of the otterbox but the screen part would still be at risk of impact damage. The pelican i1015 looks ideal - thanks for the suggestion.

John.

7. bobob macrumors 68030

bobob

Gotta add my vote to the Otterbox Defender camp - - I've carried it face-in in my jeans front pocket for six months now, plus a couple of drops and have zero complaints - - it's a great product.

Of course, it's not waterproof, something that I would want if I worked outside on a regular basis. I hope in future that Apple offers a waterproof/shockproof/freezeproof/crushproof option like some of the pocket digital cameras nowadays (eg: Olympus Stylus Tough-8000).

8. RickyRoque macrumors newbie

9. guccigucci88 macrumors 6502a

guccigucci88

theres a new case called the sharkeye. Ill be doing it a review in a few days if you can wait that long, it's worth checking out though.