Ubisoft security breach

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by skippymac, Jul 2, 2013.

1. skippymac macrumors 6502a

skippymac

Well it seems ubisoft have been hacked.

I'm not too peeved about the hacking itself - these things happen as we know, but I find it quite amazing that I can't go to ubisoft's website and change my password! :confused:

I received an email from "email_ubi@email.ubi.com" with a link to change my password, however obviously decided it was not the best idea to enter my details on a site from an email link. I then went to ubi.com (which itself looks like a thinly veiled phishing site to my eyes - it doesn't even have a favicon) and was presented with a dubious looking link to change my password. Clicking on this link only served to get me another email (this time from "accountsupport@ubi.com") with another link to change my password.

At this point I'm not really sure I want to use either of these links, and I find it quite laughable how rubbish ubisoft's site is!

/rant

2. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

It's probably the most secure method they have if they've truly lost passwords. If the reset was done on the website, then it would simply use your existing (stolen) password for authentication - so the people who stole the passwords can do it.

By emailing the account holder to enable the process, it adds an extra step, and hopefully means the real account holder only gets that email. Oh, and the NSA.

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I changed mine, but yeah ubi's site for sorting this mess out leaves a lot to be desired.

4. Dirtyharry50 macrumors 68000

Dirtyharry50

I imagine the NSA is here too, careful now, careful!