uBlock Origin Alternatives in Safari 13?

stanman64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
uBlock, uBlock Origin, AdGuard, 1Blocker, Wipr, AdBlock Plus, Better...

I'm seeing lots of finger-pointing and some people saying X works and others saying X doesn't work in this thread, so can someone give me a straight forward suggestion?

I was using the free version of AdGuard prior to Safari 13 with no issues - blocked all ads everywhere, including YouTube ads. I just updated to Mojave 10.14.6 & Safari 13.0.1 and it was removed from Safari.

Is there anything out there still that's free AND blocks YouTube ads AND isn't sketchy? If not, what's the best paid option?

stanman64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
AdGuard extensión still works Perfectly. You Even can use their DNS and Kick out some more ads
Did you download yours through the Mac App Store or from AdGuard's website? The App Store version has some pretty terrible recent reviews, saying it doesn't work anymore, is draining battery, hogging CPU, "phoning home" a lot, etc...

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
For those that have tried both, is 1Blocker better than Wipr? I bought Wipr awhile ago and it works OK. It is not as good as uBlock Origin but I am wondering if 1Blocker is better since it is $9

tosbsas

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2008
Lima, Peru
Did you download yours through the Mac App Store or from AdGuard's website? The App Store version has some pretty terrible recent reviews, saying it doesn't work anymore, is draining battery, hogging CPU, "phoning home" a lot, etc...
I only use extension

redgreenski

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2017
I could not get ublock origin to ever work on my MacBook. I now use PIA VPN which has integrated adblocker called MACE. It is $40 per year but you get both good adblocker and a VPN which comes in useful when in hotels and given the price of some of the adblockers mentioned in here, I think this is a pretty good deal.

Last edited:

x-man

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2008
London
I just don't trust any VPN based blockers...

1Blocker got my money years ago (ios and Mac) and very happy with them so far. I linked with the developer a couple of times and reported some site that was not working/ad blocking properly. The guy is there, responded to my email and fixed the issue -not sure how updates actually work but the "database" updates automatically in the background. All the sites I visit work just fine, the app blocks those EU cookie popups too...

Having the same app in the Phone and mac is also handy as some features icloud sync i.e whitelist.

Keep an eye on his page as the developer posted on twitter that "Major 1Blocker update is coming soon to macOS! It's been in the development for months and we have been working hard to make it on par with our iOS version. Stay tuned for more details."

Last edited:

tosbsas

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2008
Lima, Peru
I ve got that one too. But Support is More than bad. No answers Ever. Interesting to read about your experience.

And the 1Blocker x for
Macos anouncement ist oooold and nothing so
Far

Diamond Dog

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2018
Adguard is working alright for me. I run a Pihole on my network which does most of the heavy lifting, and then I have Adguard for a few specific lists. Also, it fully removes the blank space left behind by ads that are blocked by my Pihole, which is a bonus.

ATESZLA

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2019
uBlock, uBlock Origin, AdGuard, 1Blocker, Wipr, AdBlock Plus, Better...

I'm seeing lots of finger-pointing and some people saying X works and others saying X doesn't work in this thread, so can someone give me a straight forward suggestion?

I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news but ZERO of these other options replicate uBlock Origin.

Wipr may be the closest -- albeit more dumbed down -- alternative.

None of these other utilities operates with the same deft, ease of use or employ the same relentless killing of ads and other annoyances the way uBO does .. none.

I upgraded to Catalina within 24hrs of release and I love it (bugs and flukes aside)!

My only heartache has come from the immediate collapse in reliability, stability and usability of Safari.

I am not used to seeing the 'normal' web .. only the clean uBlock Origin version.

Safari in macOS 13 really is unusable and nightmarish such that I have switched completely to Firefox for now and have uBO running perfectly in that environment.

I do believe that the reason user's experiences are so varied is because our browsing habits are too quite varied.

The list of sites I frequent, laugh all of these other blockers back out onto the street. Perhaps these sites employ more sophisticated tactics but ads and pop ups bypass most of these without a sweat.

Not soon after visiting a site in Safari, my Mac's fans wind up and start playing a symphony underscoring the fight between the browser the blocker the website the content and CPU resources. That never happens with uBO.

Firefox is great and is always my secondary browser but I want my Safari back.

The fact that what has crippled my beloved Safari is the loss of a 3rd party utility underscores Safari's biggest weakness.

Also, why is Dark Reader free for Firefox and $5 for Safari??

lifeform

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2009
I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news but ZERO of these other options replicate uBlock Origin.

None of these other utilities operates with the same deft, ease of use or employ the same relentless killing of ads and other annoyances the way uBO does .. none.

I upgraded to Catalina within 24hrs of release and I love it (bugs and flukes aside)!

My only heartache has come from the immediate collapse in reliability, stability and usability of Safari.

I am not used to seeing the 'normal' web .. only the clean uBlock Origin version.

Safari in macOS 13 really is unusable and nightmarish such that I have switched completely to Firefox for now and have uBO running perfectly in that environment.

I do believe that the reason user's experiences are so varied is because our browsing habits are too quite varied.

The list of sites I frequent, laugh all of these other blockers back out onto the street. Perhaps these sites employ more sophisticated tactics but ads and pop ups bypass most of these without a sweat.

Not soon after visiting a site in Safari, my Mac's fans wind up and start playing a symphony underscoring the fight between the browser the blocker the website the content and CPU resources. That never happens with uBO.

Firefox is great and is always my secondary browser but I want my Safari back.

The fact that what has crippled my beloved Safari is the loss of a 3rd party utility underscores Safari's biggest weakness.

Also, why is Dark Reader free for Firefox and $5 for Safari??
Hi, this is my experience now also. I am no expert on this, but it seems like none of all of these adblockers works now.

I am Norwegian, and I read something about that its not as good on Norwegian, other languages like English, but it seems like Apple now has programmed Safari so none of these are supposed to work?

Are they thinking about cleaning up in this area and launching their own Adblocker?

I´ve tried like 6-8 blockers now recent two weeks, but none of these are working...

I am even considering going back to Chrome now, for YouTube ++ :)

ledzep1

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2016
Im currently using Wipr, lately I seem to be seeing more adverts on websites, I've checked its up to date as well, anyone else noticed this who use Wipr?

*Update*, my mistake the extension was disabled in safari preferences, must of been disabled when I recently updated to Catalina.

Last edited:

mj_

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2017
Austin, TX

Amen! That's one of the main reasons why I decided to ditch Safari for good and switched to Edge recently. Apple's extension brainfart is simply unbearable and unacceptable. There is, at this very moment in time (aka early 2020), no viable alternative to uBlock Origin.