uBM Classic or New uMBP Running Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Wicked1, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I have been thinking of this for sometime, although my uMB 2.4 works fine I am looking at giving it to my wife and getting a new one, however the questions is, would it be worth it to spend the extra $ and get a uMBP with the two GPU's or just a newer uMBP like the 13".

I am wondering how much more I will get out of the uMBP 15.4 with the 2.8 when Snow comes out in September or will it make a diff keeping a MB with just the 9400M only.

Anyone have a suggestion or thought on this.

Thanks

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

If you don't game or do anything very processor intensive you won't see any advantage with the 15.4" over the 13" models.

3. Wicked1 thread starter macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I game a little not much and the games are not really Graphics hogs, however what's the advantages of the Pro with the 9400 and 9600 since I hear Snow Leopard will start to utilize the GPU as well as the CPU, I can not find anything really clear on this, more or less this is my driving factor, if it will run Snow better I will go with the 15.4 Pro, if not I will stay with the 13 Pro

4. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

You'll only see gains from the 9600GT if you're running in the "performance" mode (The 9400M is the default and only GPU in power saver mode), in turn sending battery life down a fair bit as well. What is it you'll be doing that you think the 9600GT with the OpenCL will be THAT much faster than regular computing or in conjuction with the 9400M? If you're going to be needing CUDA for video compression and that sort of work, the 9600GT will be a big upgrade.

5. fibrizo macrumors 6502

fibrizo

Hrm, If you can wait longer, there might be a refresh for some new intel chips by the end of the year or beginning of next which would be a big boost as well.

6. Wicked1 thread starter macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I really do not need anything fancy, I am looking at the following three choices, not driven buy $ however more of how much use I will get out of them so as not to have to upgrade for another 2 years. I was also considering if the 9400M would handle snow ok, or should I get a uMBP with Dual GPU's because Snow is supposed to utilize the CPU and GPU going forward.

Refurbished uMBP 15" 2.66/4GB/320HDD early 2009
    Brand New uMBP 13" 2.53/4GB/250GB
    Brand New uMBP 15" 2.8/4GB/500GB

I am leaning more toward the new 13" but only if I know that the issue with the 1.5 Sata II contoller is fixed, also why did they incorporate both Audio In and Audio Out on the same port, it makes it hard to use a headset for Team Speak which my head set requires both Audio In and Audio out, I am also concerned the Audio on the new 13" will not be as good as my current uMB:

Early 2009 uMB 2.4/2GB/250GB HDD

Anyone know or does anyone with the new 13 have any issues