Ubuntu 12.04 with Lightweight Dekstop Environment

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by pcfast, Jan 4, 2014.

1. pcfast, Jan 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2014

pcfast macrumors member

I'm wondering if anyone has tried using Ubuntu 12.04 along with a lightweight desktop interface on a PPC Mac? What was the performance like and did you have any issues?

I've read people have had issues with Unity and Ubuntu. I assume if you use lightweight desktop environment like XFCE, Vmaker, etc. it won't be an issue.

2. ihuman:D macrumors 6502a

3. jrsx macrumors 65816

jrsx

NEVER run anything past Ubuntu 10.10 on an iBook G4, G3, unless you have Gnome or lighter weight environment. Essentially, unity will fry graphics card, making your iBook unusable. It simply heats up way too fast for it to be safe. Temps may skyrocket to over 160 degrees F! Pretty hot for even an iBook, if you ask me. Something like a PowerMac G4, G5, dual or quad, may run past Ubuntu 12.10, although be careful if you have a G5 quad. They have water cooling, which can get leaky :eek:. Good luck and happy computing!

4. pcfast thread starter macrumors member

iBook G4 w/ 1gb Ram (upgraded)

I was going to try to use XFCE.

5. ihuman:D macrumors 6502a

6. jrsx macrumors 65816

jrsx

Yes, LXDE is the way to go if you are installing on an iBook G4, but be careful. Make sure to keep your computer cool during the install, because it gets very hot and could hurt your computer, especially with Unity. Good luck!

7. pcfast thread starter macrumors member

Ubuntu seems to have less problems on this Mac. I have tried Lubuntu but had issues from a live disc.

8. ihuman:D macrumors 6502a

Try Debian with LXDE then. I had issues with Lubuntu on my PowerBook but Debian was fine.

9. jrsx macrumors 65816

jrsx

Use Lubuntu 12.04 for no issues.

10. pcfast thread starter macrumors member

@jsrx - Yeah figured that out on my own but if I am going to use an unsupported Linux distro why wouldn't I just stick with Mac OSX?

11. jrsx macrumors 65816

jrsx

It's an up-and-down area. See, Mac OS X is much nicer than PPC Linux, and although your choices seem endless, I would probably stick with OS X. I've been doing a ton of Linux experimenting and discovered that it's not as good as OS X. A supported Linux is new, and a lot of people have trouble with newer Linux such as, it won't boot, heats up in seconds, ruined a computer's motherboard...etc. And you will have a hard time getting wifi, but if you use ethernet, that's not a problem. Using the wrong Linux on an iBook can be dangerous. If you're asking why you should use Lubuntu 12.04 instead of Ubuntu 12.04, well, quite simply it will run a LOT faster, even though it has basically the same stuff. Honestly, I would stick with OS X. If you want Linux, go with Lubuntu or Xubuntu.

12. pcfast thread starter macrumors member

I don't have an attachment to OS X but liked it. I am running 10.3.9 which is outdated.

It seems the best option for a usable laptop that I don't have to worry about security issues is Linux. That's the main concern. Also I want something that is fast.

13. jrsx macrumors 65816

jrsx

Lubuntu will be pretty fast. Ubuntu 10.04 and below are pretty fast, but of course unsupported. If you want speed for OS X, go with 10.4. It is the best alternative for speed on an iBook, usually. Unless you have a late 2004-2005 iBook with maxed out RAM, in which case Leopard can be run fairly well, Tiger is the way to go. It can still run relatively modern software. Good luck!