Ubuntu 13.10 - iTunes replacement? Syncing options?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by nope7308, Oct 17, 2013.

1. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

Switched from OS X, to Windows, and (soon) to Ubuntu... I'm still trying to figure all this out, so please be gentle.

I'm going to keep Windows 8, but I want to install Ubuntu on a separate SSD as my main OS. However, I use iTunes to manage my music library, and to sync my iPhone/iPad...

How do I do this in Ubuntu?

Is there a music program/app that works like iTunes? I just want to preserve all the metadata (name, artist, etc.), and be able to sync my devices through Ubuntu. Is this possible? I don't want to run any virtualization software (i.e., the music program should natively support Linux).

This might be too much to ask, but would I be able to keep my music files in the existing iTunes folder? I have the music files saved on an external HDD, so it would be nice if I could access my music in iTunes when I have to use Windows (mainly for work stuff).

Of course, I could boot into Windows every time I need to sync my devices, but that's a major PIA. iTunes seems to be the only bump in the road for this transition...

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

2. Stooby Mcdoobie macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

While I've not used it myself, I've heard good things about Rythmbox. Give it a test run inside a VM to see if it's what you're looking for.

3. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I use Dropbox myself, but I managed to dig this up after a bit of searching.

I might give it a roll here in a bit. See how well it works.

4. nope7308 thread starter macrumors 65816

nope7308

So I managed to install Ubuntu 13.10 last night, but I haven't had any time to really tinker with it and properly learn the OS. My first impression is that it's less intuitive and a bit slower than what I remember. I installed Ubuntu years ago on my laptop (2007 maybe?), but I gave up after the wireless driver kept crashing.

Anyhow, I'm wondering if there's a good startup guide for complete beginners? For instance, it would be nice if I had a list of stuff that should be mandatory to download. For example, stuff like:
    - VLC
    - Codec Packs
    - GUI tool for system tweaking, etc.

It would also be great if there was a guide to tweak the OS to remove useless features/services that make it run a bit slow. Also, is there any way to increase the privacy settings? I read something about data being sent to Conical (or whatever it's called).

Truthfully, I feel like I underestimated how complicated the initial setup/tweaking would be, and now I'm a bit scared! If I install/remove a bunch of programs/apps, will this create any problems? With Windows, I never feel confident that uninstalling a program actually removes all traces of it. I normally reformat every other year just to keep things tidy/snappy.

Sorry for the noob questions, I'm just slightly freaking out at the moment!

----------

Thanks for this! Hopefully the new version is released soon since all of my devices have been updated to iOS 7. If you decide to give the program a try, let me know how it works out!

5. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Will do! I'll see about goofing around with it later on tonight. If it works well and ends up being easy to use, I'll send a recommendation your way.