Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleGuy08

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2006
Sacramento, CA
hey thats awesome. I really want to install it on my ibook but i cant figure out what is wrong with the partitions. i select the option to install it on the remaning space left (about 40 gigs) but it says insufficient and says theres like 35 mb left. So i think im goign to try to iron that out tonight. Also, my mouse pointer is incredibly slow. argh.

update: i figurred out the partitioning problem. i downloaded Gparted and cut a nice 10 gig slice out of the HD for ubuntu. yay

clevin

macrumors G3
Original poster
Aug 6, 2006
oh yah, i have one question here clevin, ive been messing around with the cube settings for a while now, and i cant figure out how to get it all 3d like you have in your screen shot. is i possible for you to take a screenshot of your setting box so i can see what i have set wrong? thanks.

applications->accessories->take a screenshot, u can set a delay time, (like 5 second), and u can rotate ur cube during that time.

As ubuntu is installing right now on my iMac, i'm praying to god i did it right and didn't wipe out os x

I'm almost 75% sure I didn't. At this moment it's 47% done installing system.

Update: I'm back on OS X So obviously that means I didn't wipe it out :p Now all I need to do is find all the drivers for the 24" iMac

:D, linux distroes now all trying to play safe, it will not hurt the host system. I repeatedly used my 4G partition to try numerous different ones, like SuSE, FC, Ubuntu, Xandros, Linspire, etc, etc..

Right now Ubuntu 7.04 beta sometimes give me problem (I suspect its because my laptop is dying, its 4 years old, and the DVD drive can't read DVD anymore..), I will eventually settle down on 7.04 final release, which should be in this month.

nateDEEZY

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2007
San Francisco, CA
:D, linux distroes now all trying to play safe, it will not hurt the host system. I repeatedly used my 4G partition to try numerous different ones, like SuSE, FC, Ubuntu, Xandros, Linspire, etc, etc..

Well I had no idea what a swap partition was or a ext3 and a mount point of "/" was either.. I'm a huge huge novice when it comes to linux.. The only experience I've had installing ubuntu was on older pc's where i just wiped out the entire hd and didn't worry about any other OS.

I didn't know in Ubuntu I had to delete the partition I made using bootcamp then split it up into 2 partitions the ext3 with mount point / and a "swap" partition with 256mb.

Anyways lol it was getting late and i end up destroying the GUI in ubuntu.. trying to enable 3d acceleration and/or get the resolution past 1024x768...

Ahh the support forums are so weak in regards to iMac, it's pretty much just people with MacBooks and MBP's as far as intel macs go.

So this weekend i'm hoping to get ubuntu running smoothly with everything working properly, displaying 1900x1200 and 3d acceleration.

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
I've recently gotten my first exposure to ubuntu using it as a server for a client of mine. Can somebody explain to me what fiesty, edgy, etc. means? I vaguely understand it has something to do with different licensing schemes.

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
Looks interesting... it's been a long time since I tried Ubuntu (or any other Linux distro). So, I'll grab the Live CD and try that on my old PC.

Whenever I've tried Linux in the past, it's always been an endless fight trying to get the computer configured to do what I wanted - hopefully things have gotten a bit easier. :eek:

nateDEEZY

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Looks interesting... it's been a long time since I tried Ubuntu (or any other Linux distro). So, I'll grab the Live CD and try that on my old PC.

Whenever I've tried Linux in the past, it's always been an endless fight trying to get the computer configured to do what I wanted - hopefully things have gotten a bit easier. :eek:

With edgy me being a complete novice (no experience with linux what-so-ever) it took me 2 nights to get it running perfect.. Even with Wi-Fi, but to get the wifi working i had to use linuxant (er something like that) i think it was $19~$20 but I just did the trial :p

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
-All

I'm running Parallels - anybody have luck installing this in a VM?
I got Herd 1 and 4 to work via Parallels. To the best of my knowledge Beta 1 won't work. There are kernel changes for Ubuntu Herd 5 and Beta. It doesn't like Parallels virtual drive. (Real disc or image.)

AppleGuy08

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2006
Sacramento, CA
alright thanks. ugh, im having a hard time getting beryl to install on my ibook. im following instructions on how to install it on an ATI card (which worked for my dell) bu for some reason all it is doing is installing the beryl settings manager and not the actual program itself.

clevin

macrumors G3
Original poster
Aug 6, 2006
alright thanks. ugh, im having a hard time getting beryl to install on my ibook. im following instructions on how to install it on an ATI card (which worked for my dell) bu for some reason all it is doing is installing the beryl settings manager and not the actual program itself.

I installed Beryl through Ubuntu 7.04's default Synaptic Package Manager.

Can somebody explain to me what fiesty, edgy, etc. means?
Its all code names
dapper is Ubunti 6.04
edgy is Ubuntu 6.10
feisty is Ubuntu 7.04

i meant if you could take a picture of your settings so I can see what im doing wrong. lol.
sorry i misunderstood it, here it is:
screenshotberylsettingskg4.png

other tabs:
uncheck draw caps
enable skydome, the skydome pic must be power of 2, such as 2048x1024, or 1024x512
transparent cube, yes when moving

thats all.:D

iJawn108

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2006
It's very cool, I had it runing on my friends busted dell for a little while. I going to get an old imac or PC to run it on once it's released just for fun.

clevin

macrumors G3
Original poster
Aug 6, 2006
From what I recall during the install it says 2GB minimum and then 256mb minimum for the swap. I'm 99% certain it's 2gb minimum, but on that off chance I'm wrong, sorry! :p

you are right! :D

Ubuntu's minimum disk space requirement is 2G, while Xubuntu's is 1.5G. 256MB for swap, thats 2.256 in total.

Better try LiveCD first, make sure u like it or not, no need to rush, :D

nateDEEZY

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2007
San Francisco, CA
you are right! :D

Ubuntu's minimum disk space requirement is 2G, while Xubuntu's is 1.5G. 256MB for swap, thats 2.256 in total.

Better try LiveCD first, make sure u like it or not, no need to rush, :D

Haha thanks :D I appreciate the reassurance... blah but I had to give up trying to get it to work on the 24" iMac >_< Well for now! Haha. I'll probably have better luck on my older P4 PC :p

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Haha thanks :D I appreciate the reassurance... blah but I had to give up trying to get it to work on the 24" iMac >_< Well for now! Haha. I'll probably have better luck on my older P4 PC :p
I've noticed that the Intel iMac's have issues with Ubuntu. It works just fine on my Mac mini though. It must be all the non-standard hardware on the iMac.

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland
I have it downloaded, and am about to burn it to CD.

How do you boot from a Live CD with a Macbook?

clevin

macrumors G3
Original poster
Aug 6, 2006
emerald is the metacity substitute with transparent effects U can use with beryl, u can install it from synaptic pckage manager. I have the impression that emerald need better graphic card (GMA950 is fine, but my 32MB ATi 7500m has some glitches when enable emerald.)

this is how it looks, [emerald is very customizable, this is only one of them]
screenshot1sb3.png

clevin

macrumors G3
Original poster
Aug 6, 2006
lol, Kiba-dock is really interesting, Im thinking when Ubuntu 7.04 finally out, kiba-dock might be more stable, if more ppl would like to have it. its more like a funny game than realistic useful.:D

ps. now i have 3 OSes on two laptops (I got this cheap laptop from microcenter, $399, and found a 120G HDD inside, instead of 80G as described in store, :D), Ubuntu+Beryl+emerald seems to have best 3D UI with this cheap low-end hardwares. I did some DVD ripping and transcoding, This Ubuntu Feisty behaves pretty solid so far. Vista basic runs ok, but a little bit slow when running 3 apps together.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.