Ubuntu 7.10 in VMWare Fusion

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by indierthanthou, Apr 15, 2008.

1. indierthanthou macrumors member

I can't seem to get the install to work properly. It freezes at 41%. Is there something special that I need to do, like with Parallels?

2. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Ask yourself, did you download the correct ISO? Have you tried re downloading in case your current ISO file is corrupted?

3. indierthanthou thread starter macrumors member

I am using the disc mailed straight from ubuntu.

4. hodgjy macrumors 6502

There is a very elaborate workaround I tried when I previously tried Ubuntu on Parallels. Basically, when installing, you tell Parallels you're installing Solaris, and once installed, change Parallels back to thinking it's Ubuntu.

5. brand macrumors 601

brand

I wouldn't call changing a single setting and then when done changing it back, all while in a GUI environment, elaborate.

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

7.10 needs you to use the Solaris preset to install. 8.04 Beta works just fine using the Ubuntu preset. Just don't try changing the resolution in the VM.

7. hodgjy macrumors 6502

Whatever.

The workaround was more than that, but I simplified to procedure here to outline the MAJOR points because, frankly, I forgot all of the other tweaks. There are little settings changes here and there.

OT: Hey Brand, I just took a look at your posting history. While I'm sure you have a magnitude of computer knowledge that is useful to the Macrumors community, you are quite abrasive as to how you go about sharing it. You are, at times, very antagonistic and rude. For example, one of your replies to a question was, "RTFM." Others are of the same flavor. Now, how does that immediately help the situation? It doesn't. If anything, it just makes you look like a jerk. So, my suggestion is for you to turn down your attitude a notch and only reply to threads when you have something helpful to add. I can't say that I've been an angel 100% of the time, but at least I try to be a good net citizen.

8. brand macrumors 601

brand

When I installed it all that had to be done was simply setting the version of the virtual machine as Solaris. No other settings/changes/workarounds has to be made. Calling that an elaborate solution might prevent someone from trying it and I don't see how correcting that was wrong.

OT:
    I'll link to the post for you since you didn't provide the whole thread.
    Anyone use the Kvm switch or a software version and if so provide link??.
    Perhaps in that thread you didn't notice that I recommended a solution. It might not have been a solution that was implemented through a GUI but instead used the terminal. Given that, best place to refer for installation instructions would be the documentation.

After you mentioned it I did look back at my past posts and I would say that the majority of them are acceptable. Sometimes I might come off as course, but I usually always try to provide help if at all possible. This is the Internet so take it for what it is. I'm not sure why you are trying to to turn this into a pissing match comparing us to the each other. I don't remember coming down on you but if it makes you feel better about yourself so be it.

[EDIT]
    If you still have issues you really should handle something like this in a PM.