Ubuntu 9.04 - uMBP

Discussion in 'macOS' started by BeSweeet, Sep 10, 2009.

1. BeSweeet macrumors 68000

BeSweeet

I just installed Ubuntu 9.04 onto a small 10GB partition that I quickly made in Disk Utility (resized my HFS+ partition while leaving my Windows 7 one intact). Upon reboot, I hold Option, and it only shows the 2 partitions (OS X & Windows). I was hoping it would show the Ubuntu partition. Since it doesn't, I have to use the Windows 7 bootloader to boot into Ubuntu.

So, is there a way to edit my MacBook's bootloader to show all 3 partitions?

2. zwaldowski macrumors member

Install rEFIt. It'll show you a boot chooser every time you boot - just don't use Option.

3. BeSweeet thread starter macrumors 68000

BeSweeet

I don't want to see a menu each time I boot. I just want to hold Option to view all 3 partitions (if possible). If not, I'll just use Windows 7's boot loader.

4. BeSweeet thread starter macrumors 68000

BeSweeet

So I tried install rEFIt, but it said I was on a PowerPC:
    [​IMG]

Kind of confused as to what to do from here... I'll mess with EasyBCD some more tomorrow. I think I need to update my version of GRUB but I can't find a binary release of GRUB2 anywhere (I just need the .mbr file I guess).

5. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

In grub, you can rename the "windows" label by editing /boot/grub/menu.lst

6. BeSweeet thread starter macrumors 68000

BeSweeet

I haven't even been able to get into GRUB. It stops at something like hd(0,2) <<my ext4 partition - the line looks something like this:
    hd(0,2) ext2: _

The cursor just blinks at something like that. Maybe the version of GRUB I have doesn't support ext4. I have no idea how to upgrade it either. I used EasyBCD to install it.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Just run the enable.sh in efi/refit directory that should bless the bootloader and allow rEFIt to work.

I've had no such problems with rEFIt on my unibody MBP. I'm running ubuntu 9.04 myself.

8. BeSweeet thread starter macrumors 68000

BeSweeet

I can't even install rEFIt. It thinks I'm on a PowerPC and won't install it.

I would use BootPicker but it doesn't bring up the interface.