Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic Koala" releases today

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by wrldwzrd89, Oct 29, 2009.

1. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I don't know who here is an Ubuntu user besides me, but... a new version of Ubuntu is coming. As of this posting it isn't yet available, though (the site still says download 9.04). I am looking forward to updating my dedicated Linux machine to the new version.

EDIT: Ubuntu 9.10 is now available! Grab the bits while they're still hot: Ubuntu

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've used Ubunutu (look at my avatar) but I'm finding that I like fedora better.

In any case, I see over at the ubuntu forums the membership is foaming at the mouth for the update, so much so. I suspect the servers will be inundated today, i.e., wicked slow download.

Looking at the release notes of the beta, its not really something to get too excited about. A minor update at best.

Faster boot times (which makes little sense since Linux like OSX can go for extended periods before rebooting
    new splash and logon screens
    better drivers for intel integrated graphics (this is probably the biggest change for most people)
    update to their app armor application.

All in all, its not on the level of vista -> win7 or even Leopard to Snow Leopard imo