Ubuntu Boot Camp Partition Removal

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Not Available, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Joined:
    Jun 30, 2009
    Hi! I've searched the forums for help regarding this, but I couldn't find an answer to satisfy me.

I've installed Ubuntu 9.04 for simulation and preparation purposes. I've done my thing, so I won't be using Ubuntu anytime soon. Now I'd like to remove the partition which was created using Boot Camp, as I do need the extra space. But when I try running the Boot Camp Assistant utility, I get the following error message: The startup disk must be formatted as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume or already partitioned by Boot Camp Assisstant for installing Windows

If I go to Disk Utility, I can only find ERASE. But this only formats the partition, without removing it, or allocating the space to the OS X partition.

The same goes for VirtualBox from Sun. Do the *.vdi files disappear after I delete the created instance, or do I have to manually remove them, as they still occupy the space I allocated at setup? After deleting the virtual Ubuntu, I could have still used Ubuntu.vdi when trying to install Windows 7.

How do I remove every OS not related to OS X? Also, please don't point me to paid software. I only do this once a year at the utmost, so I can't afford spending $30 on such a program.

Thanks in advance!

2. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

I think for this you will have to go into disk utility and go to the actual drive, not the partitions, and go under the partition tab. You should be able to select the ubuntu partition, and click the "-" button at the bottom left. This should delete the partition. Then you should be able to drag the Mac OSX partition over the unallocated space to recover that space that the Ubuntu partition occupied.

For Virtualbox, The .vdi files unfortunately do not delete when you delete the created instance. The easiest way I have found is create a new machine and then when you get to the point where you can create a new vdi you can go in and delete the old one. This is before the install process so it really doesn't matter what settings you put for the machine. After you delete it you can just cancel the install.

3. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

When I wanted to delete my Ubuntu partition, Disk Utility was never able to do it for me. I had to boot into the Ubuntu install DVD and get to the point where you do the partitioning. Then I used the partitioning utility to delete the Linux partition. After that I booted back into OS X and used Disk Utility to assign the unallocated free space to my OS X partition.

4. Not Available thread starter Guest

Yes, it seems to take forever to prepare for its removal. Waited 2 hours, still there...

I guess I'll do it from the Ubuntu DVD, then...

5. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

I would just download the iso of the gparted live cd and use that. I have used this before and it is very easy to use. You should back up your drive before you do this though. Theres always a chance something can go wrong. You can delete the ubuntu partition and then expand the OSX partition within the gparted live cd and then boot back into OSX. It shouldn't mess it up, but better safe than sorry.

6. Not Available thread starter Guest

I removed all the partitions, except for two Linux swaps. I can't delete them from Disk Utility, and GParted on the Ubuntu live CD (I think Partition Manager = GParted) shows a lock near them.

I'll try with a GParted live... USB stick.

7. gatepc macrumors 6502

gatepc

I did this once too and ended up having to backup and format the internal disk.

8. Not Available thread starter Guest

Well... I'm done, so I thought I'd share my experiences with you.

First of all, I went to Disk Utility, selected my HDD, got to Partition tab, selected everything except for Macintosh HD, and pressed the "-" button. Everything was erased, except for the (two in my case) Linux Swaps. I've downloaded and burnt a Live CD of GParted, booted from it, and deleted the two swaps. Rebooted, got to Disk Utility again, and enlarged the Macintosh HD.

Thread Solved, might prove useful to others in the future.