Ubuntu G3 iMac overclock (pencil)

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by WARvault, Aug 13, 2010.

1. WARvault macrumors newbie

Hi Guys this is my first post here.
    I scored a G3 400DV from an internet auction site for AU$10. So far I have put 256mb ram, and changed out the HDD (storing the original just in case). I have a fully up-to-date PPC Ubuntu install on it, Firefox 3.6.6 running on an old G3 mac. :D
    I want to overclock it as discussed http://lowendmac.com/macdan/md09/imac-dv-clockup.html
    Is it necessary to SOLDER the bridges in, or does graphite pencil do the trick? I'll pick up a B pencil this weekend and when I feel cocky enough I'll de-solder a resistor and test...

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I've never heard this being done with a graphite pencil before. I know some people use some kind of metallic paint, who's name I can't remember. I overclocked my 350Mhz G3 iMac to 450Mhz, I found some DIP switches that fit the board and used them. I'd also suggest you don't go any higher then 100Mhz + the original clock speed.

3. WARvault thread starter macrumors newbie

I haven't found any mention of DIP switches for overclocking. I get the jist of it, solder the DIP switches to the resistor array right? But is there a tutorial for the exact placement. I would rather remove all the resistors in one go and be able to experiment with different speeds, ie 600 in winter, 400 in summer, in Australia here, so it might be worth it...

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I don't recommend the DIP switches. It was very hard finding a three way DIP switch that fit the board.

5. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

the pencil trick is a quick fix or 'field fix' and will not last over time. useful if you are being shot at and need a quick fix, but not so much for every day.

either solder (quick/cheap/free), or since you like the pen idea, search ebay.au or google for local shopping links for 'circuit board trace paint' (or trade out paint for pen) as there are conductive silver paint pens used for just this sort of thing. works well, cheap, lasts a long time. best of luck.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That's the stuff. Use it to OC your iMac.

7. ThunderSnake macrumors 6502

You can get by without solder here, but I'm not sure about the pencil.

A Circuit Writer Conductive Pen would work.

You could also pick up a little bottle of automotive rear window defogger repair and apply it with a toothpick.

8. WARvault thread starter macrumors newbie

Hrmmm certainly food for thought... I'd really rather not kill this awesome little mac, but it was only AU$10. I might leave it 'til after the weekend, remove one resistor and replace it with graphite for a week and see if that lasts okay, then take it from there... I had forgotten all about trace pens, but I have actually saved a remote control car with one. What is this stuff like to remove? Is it permanent permanent, or can you remove it with a solvent/eraser?

9. ThunderSnake macrumors 6502

If you want to break the continuity of a connection you make, simply cut through it with an xacto knife. This also makes it easier to reconnect if you change your mind.

I'm sure you're aware that there hasn't been an official PPC release of Ubuntu since "Edgy". There will be some limitations with the community maintained repositories. Which one did you install? Lynx?

10. WARvault thread starter macrumors newbie

Lucid Lynx being a Long Term Service edition they have actually released it as a PPC architecture. Works super well, the only thing letting the team down is non-free stuff (no USB wifi and no Flash, although gnash has worked for me once..) http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ports/releases/lucid/release/ come get some!

11. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

i would go with the pencil to test how far you can stable overclock (100-150 mhz is possible ) , when you find the iMac running fast and smooth at the overclocked rate you had choosen then take out the soldering iron to make it permanent