Ubuntu in a Netbook - the current alternative to Apple's iTablet ??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by igmolinav, Jun 7, 2009.

1. igmolinav macrumors 65816

Hi,

Yesterday, after not logging in for a long time to the forum, I posted a question and about Apple's rumored iNetbook or iTablet. I wondered if it may come out this summer. The rumor was cleared, and I was unfortunately told that it wouldn't be this summer, and very likely not anytime in 2009.

My sister has an option to buy a net book from Dell with either a Windows XP operating system or an Ubuntu operating system. My question to you would be: What operating system should my sister buy in order to install, (if possible), the Mac OS X Leopard. I just wonder if that may be possible at all ??

If that is not possible, which os would you choose ?? Ubuntu, or Windows XP ??

Thank you very much for your kind attention to this matter, very kind regards,

igmolinav

2. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

It's not easy to install Leopard on a netbook, but it is possible. I've heard it works best with Dell's mini 9. Personally, I prefer Ubuntu over XP, especially on netbooks where Microsoft cripples them with software licensing restrictions (1 GB RAM limit, battery life limit, etc when running XP).

3. TRAG macrumors 6502

TRAG

Hi there. I was looking into netbooks a while ago to play with Ubuntu, Windows XP, and Windows 7. With Boot Camp in OS X, you can definitely boot in Either of those. So here is a great how to guide on doing this with the Dell. And here is another comparison chart for choosing.

If I could, I'd get the Dell Mini 9 because it does everything you would want it to do. After installing OS X on it, then I would install and boot Ubuntu from on flash drive. It is a great way to keep an entire operatring system and it's files on a flash drive. And as for Windows, I'd install that on the laptop afterward. I'm not sure if the hackintosh will keep Windows on the laptop. If so, then that's a reinstall that doesn't have to be done. Then again the HDD is super small so maybe only 1 OS will fit. But for some reason it looks like Dell isn't offering the Mini 9 on it's website. :confused: Try Amazon. Never had a problem with that site. Love it.

As for Windows or Ubuntu … That's a wildcard. I know Windows so I'd probably choose that. Ubuntu is good from my perspective, I've just never had a chance at using it in full. That's why I said boot it from a flash drive. Either way, you probably would be smooth sailing with OS X.

Hope this helps.

4. TRAG macrumors 6502

TRAG

Good point. Forgot about that.

5. MTI macrumors 65816

I beg to differ. The Dell Mini 9 (discontinued) or the new Mini 10v (note the "v") are excellent platforms for an easy install of OS X 10.5.7 The "Microsoft limit" is really just memory, since any machine that ships with more than a GB of ram has to have Vista installed under their licensing agreement.

The 2GB of ram is now $20 on the street. So, it's a no-brainer to upgrade. The easiest install is on a 16GB SDD drive version, so if the Dell has a 4GB drive, you will need to upgrade to a bigger SSD. Some intrepid owners have gotten OS X to install on an 8GB drive, but it takes a lot of trimming. 16GB drives can be had for under $75. The easiest install is done using a Runcore brand SSD that has a mini USB port built in. Using the USB connection to an Intel Mac, OS X can be installed directly onto the Runcore like a remote drive, otherwise you'll need to employ an 8GB USB thumbdrive, which is also an easy way to go.

The install takes about 90 minutes and everything works, the bluetooth, webcam, audio, wifi . . . it's a beautiful thing, especially when you total the price of all the parts, including a retail version of Leopard.

6. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Dell dropped the Mini 9 from its netbook lineup around the first of the month.

7. windywoo macrumors 6502a

windywoo

Buy the Ubuntu version since you are going to put OSX on it anyway. No sense paying a licence for XP. Dell Mini 9s can be bought dirt cheap off ebay and I am not entirely sure, but I heard that the XP versions cannot have their RAM upgraded.

If you end up not liking Ubuntu it is possible to buy XP later, or better yet, get the Windows 7 release candidate (for free until March next year) and enjoy a taste of what Vista should have been.

8. MTI macrumors 65816

Unless you can find a Mini 9 at a steal price, seriously consider the Mini 10v, which has a bigger screen, nicer keyboard, webcam and 120GB traditional hard drive for a lot less . . . and can be hackintoshed easier than the Mini 10.

The Mini 9 can be easily upgraded to a max 2GB memory. They shipped with less memory due to the license contract Dell (and everyone else that contracts with the "Evil Empire") has with MS. If I recall correctly, it costs $15 per PC for XP.

9. jazz1 macrumors 65816

jazz1

Long Journey-Long Post on Dell Mini 9 Alternative

i've been playing around with a Dell Mini 9 for several months now. Since that time I've had Dell's version of Ubuntu, Ubuntu Jaunty (9.04), Windows 7 and yeah I even tried the Hackintosh route.

Dell's version works well out of the box. It is behind the regular releases I assume to make sure updates work on their hardware without problems. But it uses an architecture that does not support a majority of the software downloads unless you convert them. I found this to be a PIA.

The Ubuntu 9.04 is nice. Not as battery friendly as Dell's version. Both the Dell version and 9.04 both seem to take a while to join a wifi network. Nothing horrible, but longer than I used to with my Mac. I've actually come back to it as I think overall it is the best OS for the Mini 9. Sorry for the spoiler. If you use Ubuntu you are going to have to roll up your sleeves a little and get into the culture. But as long as you are not looking for a total appliance instead of a computer then you will find their community very supportive. Oh, the hibernation is now working in the release version, and I really like that. It gives me the option of leaving the netbook unplugged for several days and not picking up a totally discharged laptop.

Windows 7. I had that on the Dell Mini 9 for about two weeks (I did two fresh installs trying to figure out the slow down problem). At first I praised it, but over time it seemed to get slower and slower. Probably because of the anti-virus applications I was running. I tried three different anti-virus applications, one at a time. I'm just guessing that they were the reason for the performance drop-off. I could be wrong, but there is no way I'd run Window without protection. Safari had issues with their dock hiding option, Firefox was good but it got the slows over time. Took way too long to boot (over time) and seemed to hang a lot. The OS pop up warnings really got old. I did dial them down, then I started to wonder if I was missing a serious warning that I should know about. I'm not trying to be troll on my own posting. Using Windows for me was like running in sand on the netbook. Maybe the experience would have been better on a more powerful laptop? The actual GUI was good, but still seemed to branch out in way to many ways even after two weeks of daily use.

I loved having iTunes, and Safari Windows versions on the netbook. But the two times I put Windows 7 on it the slow downs occurred. Note Windows 7 is supposed to be SSD friendly. I had both a Dell 16GB and a Runcore 32GB in the netbook. By the way I upgraded the netbook to 2GB Kensington Hyper-X memory. So every OS I tried had plenty of memory.

Hackintosh. Well it seemed like where I really wanted to be OS wise. But the netbook ran way, way too hot. The hack I had indicated that sleep would be an issue. Maybe there are newer hacks out there that would support sleep. I don't know but like I said the heat seemed like it could get problematic, also battery life didn't seem very good. I didn't have it on the machine long enough to really check on battery life. Overall performance was less than the two flavors of Ubuntu I've tried and Windows 7 beat them all battery wise. Maybe there are tweaks that might make this a good alternative for some people? But I find this counter-intuitive for people who thrive on the simplicity of maintaining the official Mac OS on an Apple hardware.

If Apple did a netbook or tablet I'd be all over that in a minute. I do like the Dell Mini 9 with Ubuntu 9.04. Too bad Dell just killed it in favor of a 10" and 12" netbook. Don't get me started about how Microsoft is seemingly calling the shots on what hardware can be put on those newer netbooks.

I've found the Dell Mini 9 a great option when my iPhone won't do and I don't want to carry the MBP around. Oh, the small keyboard size is pretty awkward to use. That is the one big criticism I have of the Mini 9. But if you want small you have to understand there are compromises. Maybe other netbook brands have solved this?

If you want good advice and tech. support on Dell Mini's and Linux go here:

http://mydellmini.com/

http://www.ubuntumini.com/

So, for me I hope the Dell Mini 9 lives long enough for Apple to come up with solution that gives us a netbook alternative.

10. windywoo macrumors 6502a

windywoo

I think Antivir is the best for a low powered computer. Avast after that, and I wouldn't trust AVG any more.

11. jazz1 macrumors 65816

jazz1

I was using Antivir first, and then Norton 360 which was cited as a beta. I think the third was Kaspersky. The new netbook version of Kaspersky would not run on the Dell Mini 9 running Windows 7 RC.

I'll give Avast a try if I ever find Windows 7 on the Mini again. If SSD's come down maybe I'll have three OS's to play with, or a really SSD for some dual or triple booting ;)

12. igmolinav thread starter macrumors 65816

Hello,

Thank you very much for your responses : ) !!!

I'll stay in touch !!!

Very kind regards : ) !!!

igmolinav