Ubuntu laptop as media server for my macbook?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by swingin t's, Sep 8, 2012.

1. swingin t's macrumors newbie

Hello everyone!

I have an old laptop I don't use anymore and thought it'd be a good idea to make it a media server. It has a 320gb hard drive and is running Ubuntu 12.04.

I'd like to plug this old laptop somewhere in the house and have the ability to stream media (music, videos, photo) through the wireless network (Netgear N600 router).

My main computer is a 2012 Macbook Air 10.7.4, and would like to play music to this computer. I only had a 128gb drive and want to maximize my space for things other than video and mp3s.

How do I go about this? Thank you :)

2. swingin t's thread starter macrumors newbie

I created a folder inside the home directory and shared it. I created a samba username and password for this share. On my Mac I click Go -> Connect to server -> SMB://192.168.1.7 and click ok. I'm able to type in the username and password correctly for the Ubuntu share because I'm able to see the name of the shared folder. However, when I go to to mount the share I get the following error message under OS X 10.7.4: There was a problem connecting to the server 192.168.1.7. You do not have permission to access this server. How do I resolve this issue? I'm by no means a linux or computer expert so be nice Thank you for reading and appreciate any help for this complicated issue to me.