Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reberto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 20, 2005
How do you install Ubuntu linux. I downloaded the CD image and what do I do. I have burned just the CD image and nothing happned. Then I burned the contents of the image to a CD. Still nothing! How the hell do you get this to install!?!?!?!?

Yoyodyne

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2005
Uqbar
Hhhhmmm, I used Ubuntu on a Dell, so all I know is setting the BIOS to boot from the cd-rom drive. As for a Mac, I haven't tried it. Maybe pressing the "c" key at boot?

As an opinoin, I think Ubuntu is great, but if you already have OS X, you really can't beat it. Generally speaking, Ubuntu is a poor man's OS X. ;)

reberto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 20, 2005
C=no

The "c" key does nothing. It just boots into X. I just want to try out linux. See what veryone is talking about.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Do you know how to burn an ISO to a disk?

Open Disk Utility. Drag the ISO into it. Click burn.

This will take the ISO (copy of the CD but on the hard drive) and burn an exact copy onto the disk.

Now insert into PC. Start it up. Enter the BIOS (F2, F10, F12, or DEL key, watch for the message. I've seen different computers with different ones, but those are the common ones). Make sure that the boot device setup is Floppy, CD, then hard drive. Exit and Save changes. Computer will restart, hopefully off of the CD.

reberto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 20, 2005
Mac?

Hopefull this is instructions for a Mac.I'm "ISO" dumb

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Hold Option at the boot chime and see whether the CD appears in the list.

Edit: And did you download the Mac (PowerPC) version? The other versions won't work.

reberto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 20, 2005
DuH!

Yes, it is the PPC version. And no, it is not on the list on boot.

reberto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 20, 2005
Crashes

When I try to burn a ISO in disk utility, I crashes. ARG!

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
reberto said:
Yes, it is the PPC version. And no, it is not on the list on boot.

What's with the attitude? If the things people are asking here sound like gibberish, maybe you should consider that you lack the technical skills to use Linux? It really isn't for the faint of heart, you know....

Have you tried inserting the CD, and opening system preferences -> startup disk? Does it appear in *that* list? Wait... and how did you get to the bootup part if you can't get Disk Utility to burn an image? What have you been trying to boot from? :eek:

kalisphoenix

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
Screw Ubuntu! You might have better luck with NetBSD ;)

In all seriousness, I burned an Ubuntu CD some time back and couldn't get it to boot. I've never had any trouble burning Gentoo CDs, but for some reason Knoppix and Ubuntu will never boot for me. (yeah, this is all PPC).

aspro

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
Hobart, Australia
Hmm, I downloaded the .iso, then burned it with Disk Utility.

After that reboot the computer and remember to hold the option key while its booting, then you should be able to choose the Ubuntu CD (its the one with the penguin) and wham, your in the install program...

Well thats what happened to me.

reberto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 20, 2005
Toasty!

I'm now burning it in Toast TI 6. Hopefully it will work! :p Sorry all if I sounded rude, just mad at my iBook.

greatdevourer

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2005
If you just want to try it out, I'd recommend getting the LiveCD version (that way you can run linux, test it out, but still have X untouched underneath).

Hold down cmd+option(alt)+O+F, and type 'boot cd' when the promt comes up

reberto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 20, 2005
GUI

I installed it. Now I only get text. How do I load into the GUI park of Linux?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Is this a Hoary install that's on a partition on the Mac? What exactly does it say when it spits you into bash? Does it say anything about changing a load stage or something similar sounding? You might try "startkde" -- but my understanding is that Hoary should default to going to the graphical environment, if it worked.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Have you ever tried Linux before?

It is crap for user-friendliness. I wish it wasn't, because it is a great concept... but this is how Linux is, really. A pain in the ass to get working how you like it to.

Sorry for the mini-rant, but this is why I don't like Linux. Everything else is fine... save for the user friendliness.

reberto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 20, 2005
IT'S ALIVE!

I got Linux. But now I have to get rid of it. I need to partition my HD. Does 6 gigs for Linux and 12 for OS X sound like enough?

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
reberto said:
I got Linux. But now I have to get rid of it. I need to partition my HD. Does 6 gigs for Linux and 12 for OS X sound like enough?

You will have approximately 8 GB of hard drive space left if you install OS X on a 12 GB partition.

Why do you want to use Linux? :confused:

You may want to invest in a larger hard drive or an external one for Linux...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.