Ubuntu Live CD

eroda

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2005
i want to run a live linux cd on my bondi tray loader imac but the imac doest read burnt cd's so i was wonderign how i can do this i have an external usb iomage CDRW drive but im sure you cannot boot from that.. any suggestions?

and i do not want to buy anything so suggesting to buy somehting else is out of the quesiton

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
Try booting from your external drive. I don't see why it shouldn't work.

If it doesn't work, you could check out the Ubuntu homepage. You can order pressed CDs there, for Free.

Edit: I've read that you'd probably have to wait for a long time before getting them, though.

Comment

eroda

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2005
explain to me how as ive tried to but have failed

Comment

TigerPRO

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2003
Wisconsin
Off-topic: I've actually tried the Ubuntu Live CD in my iMac. But Ubuntu was pathetic (relatively speaking), don't bother wasting to much time on it.

Comment

Jason_Bryan

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2003
Sheffield, UK
I thought the ubuntu Live CD was fine. It gave me an idea of the way ubuntu looks and works. It was slow but then what do you expect from a live CD running on a iBook 500 with 384MB of ram.

Comment

eroda

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2005
its a first gen imac its always hated burnt data cd's

and ubuntu rocks i use it more then any other O/S, its just that you are to macified use the console(terminal) in max os X more use it for everthing

Comment

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
eroda said:
explain to me how as ive tried to but have failed
Doesn't the drive show up as in the control panel thingy where you can select your boot drive? (don't remember what it's called in english) Haven't actually tried it myself, since I have no firewire drive of any type.

Ubuntu is very nice, IMO. I've tried the LiveCD on my PC and I liked it very much. Haven't tried it on my Powerbook, but I will soon.

Comment

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
So... if you're running a first gen iMac, that thing probably has a tough time w/ OS X running well. You should get a CDROM upgrade for like fairly cheap online. Then you should actually just install Ubuntu :). I have it installed on my old iMac, and it is such a great experience. Also... try Kubuntu, the KDE version. It's great too!

-Kevin

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.