Ubuntu on 2011 Macbook Air 1.86

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by djake80, Apr 20, 2014.

1. djake80 macrumors member

I have a guy wanting to sell me a 13" 2011 Macbook Air 1.86 model, and would only want it if I could learn Linux on it, preferably with Ubuntu. Is this too old/slow of a model for what I want or do you think it would be okay? Basically I'd be learning Linux and doing some programming on it.

Thanks!

2. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

556fmjoe

That's perfectly fine for Ubuntu. I have machines with much older hardware than that run Ubuntu just fine. If you still think it is too slow, try Linux Mint. I have found it to be much more responsive than Ubuntu and still easy to work with, possibly easier.

3. hiddenmarkov macrumors 6502a

you should be fine.

Didn't say how you would be learning linux but gui will be fine.

CLI versions can run on jsut about anything if you go that route. I'd recommend CLI for some stuff since it can take up much less space and resources.

Like one day I realized I never did a beowolf cluster in real or virtual. So up went a 3 node beowolf cluster with CLI server ubuntu guests in virtual on the late 11 MBP.

While not the true bang for the buck of a more legit cluster I got good exposure to some linux topics like NFS and well clustering with images that ran passable for my needs at like 4gb drive space an image with jsut 1 processor and 1 gb RAM assigned. This exercise tbh was jsut a see if it works project for me though