Ubuntu on live cd

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iamjustin, Sep 25, 2007.

1. iamjustin macrumors member

I have just installeed bootcamp and windows xp and that is working perfect on my mbp, i am wondering how to boot ubuntu from a live cd? i thought i had the live version downloaded, i burnt it onto a dvd disc with toast but when i restart my mbp and hold option i just get windows and macantosh for os's. then i try restarting and holding c and i just boot in osx. can someone tell me what i am doing wrong, or if i did not download the correct distro ?

2. macduke macrumors 603

macduke

not sure about macs but i know on my pc you have to go into the bios and make sure you have the cd set as bootable. usually this is found under the boot priority order. otherwise it goes to the hard drive first. again, not sure how mac bios works since i've never messed with it, but i hope this helps.

3. iamjustin thread starter macrumors member

hmm thanks anyways, can i boot in windows on my mac, and do what ur saying while im booted in windows?

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I've booted and installed Ubuntu on Macs before. I just burned the image using Disk Utility and booted off the CD/DVD using the 'C' key after the boot tone.

5. TheStu macrumors 65816

It might be that it is a DVD? I am not too familiar with the inner workings of ISOs, so you might want to try burning it to a CD. Or, get a trial version of VMWare Fusion or Parallels, and install Ubuntu to that.

6. iamjustin thread starter macrumors member

really? well call me a noob, but how might u go about doing that?

7. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Macs use EFI (Extended Firmware Interface) which has nothing to do with the BIOS, thusly you cannot set this bootable parameter even if you boot into windows, because Bootcamp emulates the BIOS on the EFI... :(

Good idea though.

8. DaveTheGrey macrumors 6502a

DaveTheGrey

I remembered watching this video some time ago.
    Perhaps it helps. :)

9. sbluetruck macrumors regular

sbluetruck

just don't accidentally click the install icon on the desktop by mistake and you'll be fine ;)

10. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

That's all I did too and worked fine for me. Maybe you burnt the wrong version?

11. iamjustin thread starter macrumors member

no im pretty sure i got the right cd. i logged onto windows and put in the ubuntu cd, and the ubuntu logo and everything came up and gave me all this info and telling me i should boot off live and all that stuff and gave me instructions to just reboot the comptuer. but that never worked, so any idea why this isnt working?

12. iamjustin thread starter macrumors member

acutally it may be the wrong version or something i dunno, but could someone send me the link to a proper ubuntu, fedora, or beryl live cd distro so i could try it?

13. iamjustin thread starter macrumors member

14. iamjustin thread starter macrumors member

15. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Are you holding down Option or 'C' after the boot tone?