Ubuntu on Mac Mini 2006

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by TyShawn, Nov 27, 2016.

1. TyShawn macrumors 6502

I currently have an old 2006 Mac mini that isn't really supported any longer. I would like to transition this box to be a small home server that runs Unifi and Librenms on Ubuntu. I am trying to create a bootable USB drive as my DRD rom is dead, but once I try to boot to the drive the Mac doesn't see the drive. Could someone assist me with creating a bootable drive so I can load Ubuntu on this Mac.

2. Derpage Suspended

Hi. If you have a computer with windows, the easiest solution is to use Rufus to create a bootable UEFI usb. Start there and report back if it doesn't work. https://rufus.akeo.ie/

3. CUDA_Switch macrumors newbie

Sounds like a nice project for an old Mac Mini. First things first, if you don't have Windows then I'd suggest Unetbootin to create the USB. But according to http://askubuntu.com/questions/629772/ubuntu-on-a-mid-2007-mac-mini, you might have to jump through some hoops because these early Macs don't support 64-bit EFI booting. Looks like it should be doable though, or you can just buy/borrow an external DVD drive from someone to save yourself some time. Please let us know how it goes!

4. adam9c1 macrumors 68000

adam9c1

You may want to migrate your UniFi controller to cloud key for about $84 at Baltic network

I run my controller on a similar vintage MacBook without a screen (connected to external display) and will migrate to cloud key soonish.

5. TyShawn, Nov 28, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2016

TyShawn thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok everything is loaded. I didn't get the USB load to work but I found an Ubuntu 14 mac iso that worked. I burned that to a DVD (yes my drive worked). Then I upgraded everything to 16.0.4.1 server.

As for using a cloud key, that won't work for me as I am using the same device to run an SNMP server. That service once I load all my devices on it will bring the CK to its knees. I will also look to running a Teamspeak server on this box as well.

For those that are thinking about running the CK its about the same hardware as a Pi3.

*Update*

Small lesson learned. If you want to run this unit headless you will need a DVI dummy adapter. I Ordered mine from Amazon and should be here in a couple of days. I'm aware that I could have made one for a couple of dollars but for $3.00 more I can have one that was already put together.

If anyone has any other tips I am open to them.