Ubuntu on Powerbook or ibook PPC?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by CRAZYBUBBA, Apr 14, 2007.

1. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

Hey guys. I haven't been able to find info on this so I thought I'd post.

I'd like to run Ubuntu (Linux) on my Powerbook. I have the instalation file, but before I attempt to install it is there anything else that I should do?

Edit: BTW if possible I'd like to run completely off linux, but tell me if you know any way.

2. Ale-500 macrumors newbie

I installed yellow dog once

Hallo,

I installed yellow dog linux (3.x) in a Lombard (sorry is a bit older than yours), that was exactly unevetful. Went so smooth, everything worked out-of-the-box ! (In a PC, GNU/linux mostly works but sometime you need a bit of manual configuring).
    Get a spare disk to test it or backup your current disk. Something I learned is that ext2 PPC is not compatible with ext2 Intel :) (or was not at the time).

I use Ubuntu in PCs (2 of them), and works pretty well. Read carefully before how to activate/configure Internet access if you don't have a second machine, that will help.

For the time being I'm happy (sort of) with OSX (Intel Macbook), and the linux support is just not there. But for PPC, is much much better.

Ubuntu has a lot of forums and a wiki, be sure to read them regarding installation and configuration, that will save you time.

And go ahead, if you like linux, I don't think you will regret it :)