Ubuntu Questions...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Tigercat212, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Tigercat212 macrumors regular

1. What is so good about Ubuntu? What features/applications does it have that Windows or OSX do not have?
    2. So, Ubuntu is absolutely free?
    3. Is it a secure program? Will it harm my computer in any way?
    4. I will be using a Black Macbook to run Ubuntu using Sun Virtualbox. For those who run Ubuntu using Sun Virtualbox, does it run smoothly?
    5. Is it easy to install?
    6. Should I get the program via disc or download?
    7. Is their a beginner's guide to Ubuntu anywhere? If anyone could direct me to one, I would be very grateful.

Thanks guys,

Tigercat212

***EDIT***

If there is a better place to put this thread, feel free to move it moderators.

2. djtrippin macrumors newbie

Ubuntu is a distribution of linux. It has advantages and disadvantages depending on what you are using it for. On older hardware it offers a significant upgrade in performance. On current hardware I dont see much use for linux on Apple hardware for personal use, but that's just my opinion. Many linux/unix apps can be compiled to run on Darwin (OS X's kernel) with X11. Now, if you're looking to run a server, I prefer linux to OS X, but again, thats just my own opinion.

Ubuntu is absolutely free so long as you are not using it for commercial purposes.

Running linux will not damage your computer. It is just an operating system like windows or OS X.

I have no experience will running Ubuntu on a mac via virtual machine, so I cannot comment on using Sun Virtualbox.

Ubuntu is, IMHO, the easiest distribution of linux to install. The graphical installer will walk you through everything you need to do.

You can dowload Ubuntu and burn your own discs, or you can purchase premade discs for fair prices at Linux Central

For a beginner's guide, check the wiki.

3. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I use Ubuntu in VMWare Fusion and it runs quite smoothly provided I give it 512MB of ram or better.